Sunday, June 1, 2008

uneventful week (until today)

As you can tell by the title it was a pretty boring week. Poor GG is probably sick of my sofa (or davenport...as she calls it) She won't admit it though...always saying she's having the time of her life and just loving on those kids. I can't believe the 4 weeks is winding down so quickly. I will be heart broken to see her go.

Here's a quick recap:

Wednesday: absolutely nothing. This week I didn't even go to the grocery store and only made meals out of what we had in the pantry. Wednesday was pesto pasta night. The kids ate up the pesto pasta even though I made them buttery noodles thinking they wouldn't touch the green stuff. Now I know better. And to talk about the DH....Matt worked late tonight as he's very busy with a project right now.

Thursday: I left the kids with GG while I volunteered at church and then picked up a prescription ($80...can you believe that?!) and some milk. Later that night (about 5 min. after Matt got home from working late) we again left the kids with GG and went to a BBQ for our community group. I made pomegranate-lemonades that I found off another foodie blog I often read. For the most part they were liked but I noticed some kids dumping it out saying it was too tart. oh well...how can you compete with Southern sweet tea at these BBQs?! Back home, GG said the kids were perfect angels and that Lauren is a big help with cleaning up the toys.

Friday: Let's see...I ran out of foundation (make-up) and noticed that Lancome on-line did not have my favorite type in stock so we had to go to Dillard's to get it instead. (unimportant side-note: Lancome has discontinnued the Photogenic foundation that I use...boo) I was able to get their last 2 remaining bottles so I have awhile now until I need to find a new foundation...any beloved and CHEAPER suggestions?

That night GG offered to stay with the kids while Matt and I went next door to have dinner with the Hancocks and the Corbitts. While GG and the kids had leftovers and quickly made cheese quesadillas, we had steaks, potatoes, salad and corn. I ate soooo much. If a serving of steak is a deck of cards than I had 2 or 3 decks. Needless to say my quota of red meat is filled for the month. We stayed out a little too late (although we had fun) and the next day we were a little bit tired.

Saturday: We were too tired to do much all day. Strike that...I was too tired to do much. Matt mowed our lawn and the neighbors lawn and then did a trip with the kids to Home Depot. He's a trooper. I spent the day reading my latest book. "Pope Joan" by Donna Cross.

For dinner Friday I made up tuna cakes from the last 2 cans of tuna I had in the pantry. They actually turned out very good...despite them just being a pantry dinner. After dinner we all went to church and learned how we should be treating our enemies. It was a good sermon and I will hopefully keep it in mind when I deal with people who get on my nerves. =) The kids had fun and Lauren even got to leave with a tiger mask and a cup full of animal crackers.

Sunday: After resting most of the previous day I was ready to roll today. After a breakfast of cereal and toast, I wrote up our weekly dinner menu and grocery list. Then I did a quick yet very hard workout in the basement while GG and the kids watched TV and played. After showering I headed off to the grocery store so I could be back in time for big Tyler's birthday party. This was a pool party at his Grandma's house and was a lot of fun. I'm pretty bummed I didn't bring a camera because the kids had a blast. In addition to the big pool in the backyard they had a couple of baby pools that Lauren and Tyler had a lot of fun in. Tyler was the braver of the two because he was actually jumping into Daddy's arms from the edge of the big pool. We had a lunch of hot dogs and potato chips....lots of potato chips. We left the party a tad early because we had plans for a big Thanksgiving dinner in June for this evening.

Invited guests were Dana and Buddy and their kiddos and also one of Matt's co-workers who was over helping Matt with some plumbing in the basement bathroom. Dana brought over all the fixins and did almost all of the fixing of the wonderful huge and scrumptious meal. We had fried chicken strips, pulled pork butt, mashed potatoes, squash, dressing, collards and black eyed peas. I hope I didn't leave anything out. I ate my plate clean and so did Lauren. Tyler was so tired after swimming earlier but even he ate a lot despite almost falling asleep in his chair. It was so much fun and the food was absolutely wonderful. I'm hoping this will make GG reconsider returning to the west where the food isn't nearly as tasty.... lol.

And this brings us to the pictures for this post. Enjoy.


Here's a candid picture of GG watching Dana prepare the meal.


Dana and I


I'm holding tea bags for our sweet tea we made.


GG wanted a picture of her food and also the beautiful chef.

a close-up of our meal. (clockwise: onions & collards, squash, pulled pork, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, black eyed peas and dressing)

1 comment:

Dana said...

ummmm good!! the meal was absolutley delish if i do say so myself!! it was so much fun showing GG how us southern girls do dinner. if that won't get her to stay in GA, then nuttin will!! next on the menu before she leaves....homemade peach cobbler.