Thursday, March 10, 2011

What Are The Odds?

What Are The Odds that my handsome, manly, can-fix-anything husband goes out of town for two days and in those two days the house falls apart? I like to think that in a pinch I can pretty much handle anything. Sadly, not so. (It turns out though, I do have the ability to ask for help. (Who knew?!) Many thanks to my trusty and always helpful neighbor Mr. Buddy.)

What Are The Odds that as Matt was leaving the house for his business trip to Alabama, the garage door opener started to make a strange sound? A few hours later it made an even stranger sound and broke. A part came off the motor and the chain fell off its tracks. My garage door did not open or shut on its own anymore. My car was still in the garage and the door wouldn't stay open far enough for me to pull it out. I called Mr. Buddy over to hold it open so I could back out. (He then took the motor apart to let me know what was wrong with it. Long story short...we'll be buying a new entire opener very soon.)
Even though I had to park outside and we had to use our front door to enter and exit (who does that?) we made due.
What Are The Odds that the very next day I would have to call Mr. Buddy to help me again? This time, our house alarm started acting up. We have it set so whenever a door opens or closes we hear a chime.
Later that day I noticed when I opened the front door I didn't hear the chime. No big deal I thought, Matt will be able to fix it when he gets home. Well twenty minutes later I heard the chime go "ding-dong, ding-dong..." repeatedly, repeatedly, repeatedly and my blood pressure started to rise. I punched a bunch of buttons on the keypad to try to turn the chime off but that only armed and immediately set off the house alarm. So now not only did I have the "ding-dong" repeating but I also had the house alarm siren going off for the whole neighborhood to hear. (The cancel code did not work.)
Amidst all the alarms, I called Matt and he told me I needed to clip a wire to turn it off. I was afraid of electrocuting myself (which Matt told me there was no chance of) so I called Mr. Buddy once again and asked him to come over and clip the wire. He disconnected a few wires and my house was finally silent again.
Seriously, What are the Odds?
And finally, What are the Odds that I did not like the dinner I made today? I made Chicken Souvlaki Pitas with Tahini Sauce and I must say I did not care for the tahini sauce. Maybe it needed more salt? Feel free to try it and tell any changes you make to the recipe.
Tonight I'm sleeping with one eye open...
Odds Are something strange will happen. =)
PS. My baby girl turns SEVEN YEARS OLD tomorrow.

1 comment:

nicole. said...

Hmmm I would offer to let you borrow Erik - but he can NOT fix anything. Nothing!