Sunday, March 6, 2011

We Are Going Granola

Before I get to the meat and potatoes...I mean greens and browns...of this post check out Lauren's latest photo artwork.
She had her Littlest Pet Shops line up and pose for a photo and then she decorated it with a border and some stamps and of course, her signature. She's pretty proud of her masterpiece.


And now for the breaking news. We are going granola.
We (I) started to compost today. I've been wanting to start one for awhile (years?) but for some reason have been too intimidated. After asking my Facebook friends for advice I've decided to give it a go.

I found a bucket (with a tight lid) to keep in the house. Anytime I have compostable kitchen scraps I will throw them in there. Every evening I will dump the scraps into my outdoor compost bin.
lime peels, tomatillo peels, onion peels etc. etc.

For my compost bin I decided to start out small. I took a generic Rubbermaid container and kindly asked the hubby to neatly drill some drainage/air holes in it.

I filled it with 6 inches of shredded newspaper and recycle paper and added some stray leaves I found in the garage.

I'm ready to get serious now.

I tossed in my kitchen scraps...

stirred it up and added some water. Just enough water to moisten but not too much that everything was floating around.

Then I put the lid on and hopefully right now it is doing its compost magic. Time will tell.
(My friend Claudine suggested this website to guide me in starting my compost. I pretty much followed it word for word.)
And hoo boy are we going granola! I'm also going to attempt a square foot garden this year based on Mel Bartholomew's book, All New Square Foot Gardening which I bought last week.
Matt has aready built me my four square box.

And we've also bought the mix we need to plant the garden. Now we wait until it is warm enough to plant my first ever garden.

Although I have officially gone granola, have no fear because I will still continue to shave my legs (for the time being.)

*wink*


3 comments:

brian said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPK-hhAKNzk

Ari Lesser: Not Oregon State alumnus.

Christine said...

How funny you posted that Brian! Ari is performing at Lauren's birthday party this weekend.

Why go granola if I don't go all the way?!! =) ...you gotta close your eyes and sway to and fro...do the Hippie.
(whatevs!)

brian said...

haha. i love you regardless of your hippie ways, but if you start getting behind PETA we may have to talk :)