Monday, September 15, 2008

Jack 2000-2008




I took Jack to the animal hospital today. They checked the poor guy out, did blood tests and determined he had lymphoma (which I guess is much more common in cats than in people.) He was very dehydrated and had end stage renal failure already. The veterinarian was very kind and gave me many options. She said we could admit him and fill him up on fluids to make him more comfortable but that would only treat the symptoms and not the cancer. When I took him in today I was already prepared for the worst and I just couldn't see making him more comfortable only to suffer again in a week or so. So I chose the "other" option.

When I got home from the vet...red eyed and all...Lauren came right up and asked where Jack was. I wasn't quite ready so I told her he was very sick and he stayed with the animal doctor. This was not a good enough answer because she asked, "well, when are you going to get in the car and pick him up?" Then I just fessed up and told her that Jack got very sick and he died. She asked when she was going to see him again and I told her that we wouldn't see him again, that he was in Heaven with Jesus. So tonight we read Cat Heaven and everything seems to be okay. Except for me...I'm still sad.

3 comments:

Steve and Tammy said...

I am so sorry for your family. It is so sad when you lose part of your family. I am sorry you are so sad. Give everyone our love.

brian said...

those are some good pictures of jack.

Christine said...

Tammy, Brian, Mom and GG (who sent an e-mail instead of a comment) Thank you very much for your comments about Jack. He was a very cool cat and it really does help to hear from you all. Thanks for your thoughts.