Thursday, September 11, 2008

7 years ago...still not forgotten

I remember getting out of the shower and turning the radio on to listen to some music while getting ready for work at Holt International. Instead of their lame radio bantering I heard nothing...dead silence...and then one radio personality said they were speechless. They just didn't know what to say. I could tell by the tone that something serious happened so I turned on the tv to CNN and just leaned against the bed in total shock as I heard the news and saw the footage about what was happening. I immediately called Matt (my husband of 16 days) who was in Texas on business and asked if he heard the news yet. He hadn't. I remember being in total shock that day. Everyone at work was in the same daze. We all had our radios playing at our desks. All those lives lost, all those husbands/wives left without their spouse, all those young Children Left Without Their Parents. All I wanted was to hold Matt to know he was safe. Since all major air traffic was grounded for days his company hired a private plane to fly their employees closer to home. Closer for Matt was Los Angeles so he had to drive the 12 hours home and didn't get into my arms until 4 days after the attack. What a long 4 days for me but that doesn't even compare to these 7 years for those who lost a loved one. My heart felt sympathies and prayers go out to all of them.


[changing subjects]

I didn't take any pictures for the last two days so I got on the computer and found this picture taken today, 3 years ago. It is comforting to think that just 3 years ago today my Dad held 18 month old Lauren. Boy do I miss him but I get to see a little bit of him in Lauren and Tyler.

Matt left yesterday for a work trip to Minnesota, eh, and the kids and I have kept very busy. Last night I had my first Impact Group meeting with kids in tow. This is a church related small group class which focuses on what it means to be a Christian. Very basic stuff but since I didn't grow up in a church I think this will be a good foundation for me.

Today Lauren had Red day at school...everyone wears something red. After school we had some friends over for a playdate. We had 2 girls and 1 boy over to play. The kids played so well together and us Mom's got to chat about anything and everything. It was a great time for all. We'll have to do it again and I'll be sure to take a picture.

Then tonight after nap I went ahead, against my lazyness and bathed the kids, PJ'd them, fed them and then put them in the car and went to the Community Group meeting. L and T went willingly downstairs to the basement and started playing without a second glance back at me as I went back up-stairs to join the adults. My kids have grown so much socially in the last few months. My plan was to leave right after the group time ended but the kids saw the dessert being served and Tyler told me, "I wannnn a stay heeeeere." What am I going to do but get the kids a big bowl of brownie sundae and chat for a little longer. (I did not partake since I started counting weight watchers points again yesterday...yay me!)

And I'll close with a cold update. I haven't been able to "pop" my ears for over a week now and it's pretty miserable. I google searched my symptoms and it could be an ear infection or a sinus infection but regardless it said to get some Sudafed. If you are not aware, you can't just go pick up some Sudafed and bring it to the check-stand. No, you need to go to the pharmacy, relinquish your driver's license, fill out a form with your information and also provide your latest eye test, passport and 3rd grade report card. Boy did I feel like a criminal but 30 min. after taking the first dose....oh man...it was worth it. I can breathe and most importantly "pop" my ears again. ==Worth It==

No comments: