Friday, September 19, 2008

finally Friday

Tyler is over-joyed that it's Friday. Actually he's just happy that Lauren isn't home and he has Mommy all to himself. Lately when we get into the car to go pick up Lauren from school he says, "Mommy, don't go get Lauren."

On the way to her school he's pretty good at directions. I can already tell he favors his Daddy in this respect as I have no (NO!) sense of direction. He tells me which way I need to turn and can also recognize the street I would need to take to go to Home Depot and Walmart. He's such a bright kid and on his way to being a very productive consumer.


I thought I'd post the above picture to ensure everyone that he does play with boy toys too. When it's just him and I; planes, trains and big dump trucks are high on his list. It's just when his sister is home he would rather play with her and has to settle and play with whatever she wants to play. He loves to play with her (and her with him) and it's so fun to watch them interact. He's learning so much more by having her around than he would if I had put him in a Mom's Morning Out like I did with Lauren.

Today after school, Lauren hopped in the car with a box of raisins. She got another prize from the "treasure box" for having good behavior all week. She's so proud of her treasure and I made sure that she got to eat the entire box. Luckily I had some more raisins for Tyler. Also in the car she enthusiastically told me that they got to listen to a Little Red Riding Hood story on a "big, big, big, CD." I asked her if this was a record and she said "yes, it a record and a big big CD." Welcome to the next generation...where records just aren't understood.

Back home I could tell Lauren wore herself out at school. As I understand it (from Lauren) she's been playing a lot more on the playground...slides, bike-go-round etc. and today she was absolutely exhausted. At lunch she burst out crying and when I ran! to her she said she bit her finger while eating her raisins. Not 2 minutes later she did it AGAIN!! I mean...how do you bite your own finger while you're eating...sure you can bite your lip or tongue but your finger?! Some days I think she's ready to give up her afternoon nap but other days there's no doubt that she really needs it. My plan is to take it day by day because when she does take a nap she's just not quite tired enough at bedtime.

While the kids were sleeping I finally got back on track and hopped on the treadmill for a General Hospital walk. Lauren woke up and came down to the basement about 15 min. into my workout. She hung out and watched the soap with me until I told her to be my "big helper" and go tell Tyler he can get up. (He will just jabber in his room until I or someone comes to tell him he can get up....yes, I know....I'm completely blessed with my children's sleeping habits.) So, after he got up the kids played together while I finished up my workout and then took a shower.

For dinner, while the kids played in the garage and in my car, I made Saucy Beef and Onions. It was pretty good. Tyler hasn't been eating dinner for the past 3 days but Lauren ate a good part of it after being bribed with more fruit. I actually think she liked it. The recipe follows:

SAUCY BEEF AND ONIONS

12 oz lean ground beef or veal (I used pre-cooked ground beef and added it to the softened onions at the same time I added the mushrooms)
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
1 clove garlic, minced
1 12-ounce jar fat free beef gravy
2/3 cup light dairy sour cream
1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
3/4 tsp snipped fresh thyme or sage or 1/4 tsp dried ground thyme or sage (I used dried sage)
1/8 tsp pepper
2 cups hot cooked rices or noodles (I made both...rice for the adults and pasta for the kids)
2 Tbsp fresh snipped parsley

In a large skillet, cook meat, mushrooms, onions and garlic (salt & pepper to taste) until meat is brown and onions are tender. Drain off fat. In a mixing bowl, stir together beef gravy, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, thyme or sage, and 1/8 tsp pepper. Stir into meat mixture. Heat through. Serve meat mixture over rice or noodles. Sprinkle with fresh parsley for garnish. Makes 4 servings NI: 339 calories, 13 g fat, 1 g fiber

The weather has suddenly taken a turn...the humidity has disappeared and it's been in the 70s and lower 80s...PERFECT. We decided to celebrate the perfect weather and eat dinner outside.

and Lauren wanted a solo...
For the rest of the evening the kids played outside with neighbor Joshua, I got more junk...I mean treasures...ready for the garage sale tomorrow and Matt worked on a welding project for Mr. Buddy next door.

Matt wants to watch "Be Kind, Rewind" so I will (a bit reluctantly) be heading down to the basement, aka. theater room, to watch our Netflix movie.

Enjoy your Friday.

No comments: