Tuesday, September 23, 2008

can you say "Gas Crisis?!"

I had less than a quarter tank yesterday so I begged Matt to fill it up for me. I didn’t want to deal with the emotions/stress of a city, state? In a gas crisis. I rode along with him to be a witness if some other gas seeker went berserk. We had to go to 4 gas stations before we found one we could fill up with a rationed amount of $50 worth. (that's almost a half a tank on my super huge-mongous SUV...give or take.) The first two gas stations only had premium available but while we were waiting in line they both ran out of gas and the 3rd was completely out...caution tape and all.


Today...

...while Lauren was at school Tyler and I went to a Mom’s club ice-cream social at the park by L’s school. Tyler enjoyed a cup of chocolate chip cookie dough with marshmallows and then a chocolate ice-cream cone with more marshmallows. We also fed the ducks and played on the playground. Tyler loves to find friends to play with. Usually he just latches onto some kid running by and chases them. He gets what Lauren doesn’t yet…he realizes it’s a lot more fun to play with the other kids.

When I picked Lauren up at school her teacher, Ms. Lee, told me she had a minor meltdown today. She dropped her empty cup of pudding on the floor and started crying. Ms. Lee told me that she just ignored it and told her we don’t cry unless we get hurt in the 4 year old classroom. Harsh, but Lauren probably needed to hear this from a teacher. Back at home I kept acting like I dropped things and said “oops” or “goodness gracious, I dropped this _____, I need to pick it up.” I e-mailed her other teacher, Mrs. Maginnis, about an unrelated item and mentioned Lauren’s meltdown. She said that, "Lauren seems to get frustrated with herself or afraid she is going to get in trouble." That sounds a bit like her Momma. Didn’t my middle school principal threaten to call DFACS when I ran out of the classroom because I mis-spelled a word on a spelling test?? (just kidding mom, but I do remember it to be a big deal….my fear of failure.) Help me think of ways to teach Lauren to not be so hard on herself.

We planned on going to the fair this evening but Matt had a very successful meeting in Stevenson, AL (the very Northeast corner of Alabama…to get there from Atlanta you drive in GA, TN and finally into AL.) This successful meeting kept him longer than expected so we weren’t able to make it to the fair. It’s important that Matt and his office do as much business as they can because rumor has it there’s a big announcement coming up regarding Harris Group. Matt has his suspicions which have nothing to do with the Atlanta office but we’ll keep you posted. Instead of a corn dog at the fair we decided to just go out to dinner instead.

Since I didn’t have to cook dinner I was still itching to make something. So while the kids played in the sand box I baked! up some Cocoa Oatmeal Bars from one of the blogs I read daily. Matt and I shared one on our way to dinner.

We ate dinner at Carrabbas , a chain restaurant in Peachtree City. The kids did great…especially Tyler who ate almost his whole meal with a fork and the food was pretty good.

Our fair plans have been post-poned until either Friday (when I will take the kids and myself since Matt will still be out of town on his next business trip) or Saturday afternoon after my Mom’s club sponsored Spa Day. (I’ll be getting a microdermabrasion treatment. Yikes!)

Currently, I’m getting addicted to The Mentalist while Matt is on the phone with Bank of America to protest a few incorrect charges they made and also to close our accounts because he’s so pissed off. He’s thinking of USAA…I’m not familiar with them at all. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

brian said...

i recommend under the mattress. safest place for your money if you ask me.

Christine said...

Steven Colbert told me to diversify so I put half in my mattress and buried the rest in the back yard.

Claudine said...

Funny...I blogged about the same thing today. Crazy!