Sunday, April 13, 2008

Family Day at the Atlanta Opera

And yet again the weekend has gone by way too fast. Saturday we headed out early to go enjoy family day at the Atlanta Opera. I know what you're thinking... "yawn." But I really wanted to expose the kids to something that has never really drawn an interest to neither Matt nor I. We were lucky we got an early start because they are doing weekend paving of the connector (I85/I75.) This goes straight through the middle of Atlanta and is a stretch of constant crazy traffic, always. This weekend they had it going from 6 lanes down to 2 lanes right at a merge with more in-coming traffic. We made it to an exit in Atlanta and took side roads clear across the city to Oglethorpe University where they had the Opera's Family Day. We noticed on the way home, however, that traffic was miserably backed up much farther back from where we were able to exit. This paving will continue for many weekends so if we don't get an early start than we won't be heading into town!

Anyway...at the Opera. They had many booths with crafts such as making tambourines, rain makers, masks, magic wands, beaded bracelets and also had an instrument "petting zoo" and a place to try on opera costumes. In a separate room they had an ensemble singing some opera but it was too loud for Lauren to want to enjoy. The whole time Tyler preferred to play with the balls on the pool table they had in the student lounge. Lauren really enjoyed the crafts and made a tambourine, rain maker, magic wand and a beaded bracelet. Although it was long and difficult to get there (due to the traffic and detour we took) we decided that it was worth it.

Later that night we went to church and heard about being at a Crossroads with our Future. Lauren enjoyed her puppet show in the children's room and due to a low volume of volunteers, Tyler and other 2 year olds were in the same room as her. Lauren told me Tyler just played with the trains the whole time but that she sang, listened and colored as was asked of her. Such a good girl. She is now writing her name on the pictures she colors and I just love her handwriting.

After the kids were in bed Matt and I shared a bottle of Trader Joes $4.99 red wine special and watched "Into the Wild." I had read this book a few years ago and it made a huge impression. The movie was very good too. It really got us thinking. You need to see the movie. When I first read the book I was single, no kids and I could see it through a different perspective. Then last night I watched the movie from a different perspective (as a parent) I really saw it in a different light. I highly recommend you watch it although it's a bit sad.

Today, Sunday, was a busy busy day. At least if felt that way for me. This morning while Matt made delicious omelets I planned out my weekly dinner menu and made my grocery list. The whole time Matt was cooking Lauren kept saying how omelets were yucky and she wouldn't eat one in one hundred days. Much to everyone's surprise, however, she ended up eating 2 whole omelets herself. They were just that good. After breakfast we headed out to the clean Kroger. Tyler and I took our buggy and our list and Lauren and Daddy took the coupons and went on their grocery hunt. We made record time and were home in time for lunch. We're trying to save money wherever we can and if we don't need to eat out for lunch then we won't. While the kids lunched I did my workout and took a shower.

During Tyler's nap (Matt let Lauren stay up and watch movies instead of napping today) I went with Dana to USA Nails to get a full body make-over (eyebrow wax, pedicure, and a fill for my new solar nails!!) Meanwhile, Matt worked on his chopper in the basement. He's taking it apart now to get it painted. Remind me to get a picture of this work of art.

After the trip to the nail salon I got right to work making dinner. This was quite extravagant because I tried a recipe to see if it would be suitable for when I host the Bunko game next month. I made Lasagna Primavera, Garlic Knots and a "whatever was left over in the veggie drawer" salad. For the Garlic Knots I even broke out the bread machine and made my own pizza dough for them. As taste testers for the dinner I invited Dana and the kids over (Buddy had just left for a business trip to Tallahassee.) All agreed, it was delicious except for my DH (dear husband) who predictably suggested that I add a bit of chicken next time. I did decide that I will make this for Bunko but I will do one as is (vegetarian) and add the darn chicken to the other one. For dessert we made a dozen cookies which we purchased from Shep's school fund-raiser. These aren't healthy cookies by any means but they are pre-portioned and all you do is take them from the freezer to the oven. And they taste delicious. Tyler didn't eat anything but the bread at dinner but he ate 2 whole cookies and would have ate more had we let him.

I think that's about as much as I can draw from the past couple of days. Next week will be a bit different for us since Matt will be out of town and we have been used to having him home for the past couple of weeks. He's off to Raleigh, NC.

Sorry this rambled on...I've been watching Big Brother... =)

No comments: