Sunday, April 3, 2011

Going Granola: the Square Foot Garden Edition

It is the 1st week of April and the Dogwoods are blooming. Down here in Georgia, that means it is time to plant the garden. Before I get to my first EVER garden I have a couple of updates for you.


Update #1: Troy's Mom (the 33-year-old who suffered a stroke) is going to survive. She is able to answer questions by blinking her eyes (once for yes and twice for no.) She will go through a tremendous amount of therapy but is expected to have a significant recovery. She suffered her stroke immediately after a neck adjustment at the chiropractor's office. Although this is very rare (and I have nothing against chiropractors) please don't let them touch your neck.



Update #2: Tyler hit a coach-pitch ball during his T-ball game on Saturday! We were so proud. He is loving his T-Ball! The Square Foot Garden (based on this book)

Lauren and her gardening hat were a big help (whenever she wasn't fighting with her brother.) First we mixed 1/3 part Compost (from 3 different types of compost,) 1/3 part Vermiculite and 1/3 part Peat Moss. This made our Garden soil. We (mostly Matt) put it in our Square Foot Garden container. Matt then screwed on the grid. While Matt built the deer fence around the garden I planted the seeds. Since Anne C. asked...here is what I planted:
(l-r, back row to the front)

Tomatoes, Peas, Cucumbers, Beans

Cilantro, Jalapenos, Peppers, Basil

Spinach, Onions, Strawberries, Lettuce

Snapdragons (flowers,) Swiss Chard, Pansies, Daisies

(gotta love the Ikea kid chair supporting my be-hiney) I used popcycle craft sticks to mark my plants.

The orange pot will hold carrots and potatos. It looks a little small from the back deck.
getting bigger
Matt finished up the deer fence and added a trellis to support my vine plants.

(tomatoes, peas, cucumbers and beans)

I filled the grey bucket (on the left) with water so I can easily add it by the cupful to the plants.

Doesn't it look cute?

I really hope something will grow.

No comments: