Monday, January 5, 2009

New Years Week recap

We are sure missing Grammy and Uncle Brian today!! Uncle Kevin and Aunt Mili left last week and Grammy and Uncle Brian flew home to a once again snowing Oregon yesterday.

Today I had to wake up at 7:30 with the kids instead of taking advantage of Grammy and letting her get up with the kids while I slept for another Three Hours. Welcome back to reality.

Even Tyler is missing Grammy. He woke up today saying "I'm just sad." I asked him if he missed Grammy and he said, "yes, I miss him." Poor guy. Grammy come back!!

Although we're sad now we sure had a lot of fun since my last post. Check it out!!

After giving Kevin and Mili the boot we went to Philips Arena on Tuesday to see the Hawks kick some basketball butt. The company which owns Matt's building (and most of the other buildings in Atlanta) sponsors a court-side suite and had 4 extra tickets for the game.


the suite was A-mazing. It was full of free booze and free food and just a short walk to our Court-Side seats. (the food was around there somewhere...and it was good too.)
We were 3 rows behind the comfy seats enjoyed by the players' families and other famous peeps. We had these same seats for a Hockey game not too long ago but sorry no offense to any Canadians reading this...hockey just DOESN'T compare.

check out how close we were
I got your tush, Carm
We had a low key New Year's Eve in our basement with Mike and his kids, Tyler and Tera. The kids played and we munched on appetizers (home-made spicy boneless chicken wings, black eyed pea salsa and chips etc. etc.) and watched a lot of football. I brought the New Year in with my favorite daughter relaxing on my lap and Matt did the same with my favorite son.
It was perfect.
Happy 2009!!

New Year's Day started off with the best sausage and cheese omelets Matt has ever made.

this picture makes you want to lick the computer doesn't it?
no? ok, then just me.
[Imagine a picture of Matt and Uncle Brian watching football all day long.]
and that brings us to our traditional New Year's Dinner. Collard Greens (for wealth,) Black Eyed Peas (for luck,) baked herb crusted tomatoes, corn bread and fillet mignons. Tradition says we need to have Hog Jowls (for health) but I'm just not a jowl kind of girl...(and who is this Tradition person anyway?) I counted the pound of bacon I used in the collards as my "healthy" dose of pig.
yummers
Friday we wanted to get out of the house and explore some more of Atlanta. We chose the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site.
the light is shining on Mr. King Jr.
at the tombstone



I can't believe we've been here for over 3 years and haven't visited. It was very informative for all ages. I had an occasional tear in my eye while looking around.

After a lot of walking around and excellent behavior from Lauren, Tyler and Uncle Brian we celebrated at the Varsity. We stopped by for chocolate shakes but somehow Matt and Uncle Brian got a hamburger and 3 hot dogs and then forced all of us to eat some onion rings.



Saturday afternoon, we went to the Family Place to Play Fun Center in Newnan. Lauren and especially Tyler had a blast.

going up
coming down
even the toddler room was fun to play in





Boy were we tired after such a fun day of running and jumping around. This is probably the first time Lauren has ever fallen asleep on the sofa.

Matt and Uncle Brian couldn't rest though. Those lucky ducks got tickets to another Hawks game this time in the Coca-Cola suite thanks to neighbor and poker buddy Wiltey.
Here's the view from the Coke suite which is on the upper level.

a view of the suite and Brian enjoying free food and refreshments
cool half time entertainment. can you see this guy is horizontal to the ground?!
Did I mention how sad we are that all our guests have left. When will we have as much fun? Anyone want to cheer me up and come visit?? We have plenty of room.

1 comment:

Steve and Tammy said...

I am so jealous!! It looks like you had so much fun!! If we ever get our acts together and come visit Zac would love the MLK Jr. National Historic site!! He lovesssss history! It looked amazing!! Glad you all had a wonderful new year!!