Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Thai Red Chicken Curry with white rice

So most of the recipes this week have looked a lot like this. Lots of veggies, minimal chicken and some various asian spices. This one was okay....
Spicy Chicken Stir Fry with Fried Rice
but nothing knocked our socks off until tonight's dinner.
I made Thai Red Chicken Curry and served it over white rice. It was spicy, creamy and the chicken and potatoes were perfectly tender. I wish it wasn’t so filling so I could go have another serving.

Thai Red Chicken Curry
My changes are in red italics
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 onion
1 T. peanut oil
1 2/3c. cocunut milk I used 13.5 oz can which came out about exact
2 T. red curry paste
2 T. Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
1 T. light brown sugar
8oz tiny new potatoes
1 lb skinless chicken breast portions, cut into chunks I used 2 chicken breasts
1 T. fresh lime juice I used 1/2 T. from concentrate
2 T. fresh mint, finely chopped I used 1 t. dried mint
1 T. fresh basil I used 1 T. basil herb blend I had in the fridge (the gel that comes in a tube.)
2 kaffir lime leaves, shredded omitted
1-2 fresh red chilies, seeded and finely shredded I used 1 jalapeno chopped and added some only to my dish
salt and ground black pepper
lime wedge to garnish and then give to Lauren to eat

Directions:
1. Cut the onion into wedges.
2. Heat a wok until hot, add the oil and swirl it around. Add the onion and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
3. Pour in the coconut milk, then bring to a boil, stirring. Stir in the curry paste, fish sauce and sugar.
4. Add the potatoes and seasoning I just used some salt and pepper and simmer gently, covered, for about 20 minutes.
5. Add the chicken chunks and cook, covered, over low heat for another 5-10 min.
Stir in the lime juice, chopped mint and basil. Serve at once, sprinkled with the shredded kaffir lime leaves and red chilies.

Source: The Asian Kitchen by Lillian Wu

Check out this cookbook. It gives detailed pictures of all the ingredients as well as a picture for each step and then a whole page picture of the completed dish. This is my type of cookbook!


No comments: