Tuesday, December 9, 2008

the Epitome of Motherhood

Lauren woke up with a stomachache. Her actual words when she came whimpering into our bedroom at 6am were "I can't stop swallowing, even when I take a drink of water. And my tummy hurts." I tucked her back into bed but her stomacheache didn't go away. She didn't have a fever but after eating some cereal for breakfast she seemed better. T and her ran around and played with playdough until it was time to go to school. In the carpool line at school Lauren said her tummy hurt again and she didn't want to go to school. She's not one to feign illness to get attention so I checked her out closely. Yellowish eyes, pale skin, and then all of a sudden the contents of her stomach all over herself, her booster seat and the carpet in the car. Oh and don't get me started about the smell. So I guessed we wouldn't be going to school afterall.

I was able to wiggle out in between the mini-vans in the line and drive home. Despite the smell, I enjoyed the calm drive before the storm. (Man, at times like these I sure wish my Mom lived closer...I would have been on the phone with her in an instant begging for her help.) Unfortunately I was on my own, and the calm drive home didn't take nearly long enough. Much too soon we were home and I was glove-clad and carefully trying to get Lauren out of her soiled car seat, her brand new jacket, clothes and get her set up on a sick blanket on the sofa. And then I spent an hour scrubbing the car inch by inch with a mixture of Comet Bleach and Water. I would have used carpet cleaner but the smell was just so bad that I was sure nothing but BLEACH would do the job. We'll see if I did any permanent damage to the carpet.
And that my friends is what being a Mother is all about. Until you've scrubbed vomit out of your car you just can't understand the Epitome of Motherhood.
And now let's smoothly transition to DINNER. (lol)
But seriously, I made the best soup tonight.


It was very filling with rice, chicken and a 10oz package of spinach and despite all the spinach it was DELISH. The rolls were left over from Thanksgiving. I definitely recommend you make this dish. Heck it's a Weight Watchers recipe and I was completely full after one measly serving.
And now I should shimmy myself upstairs and help the wonderful father figure out with the bath and bedtime routine. G'night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A story about vomit above a picture of a bowl of... spinach soup?... somehow the juxtaposition makes me wanna hurl, too. I'll try the recipe as soon as I forget your story :)

Us pet owners know the joys of motherhood, too; nothing says "I love you, Fluffy" like following poop-tracks around the house after Fluffy stepped in his own mess then ran off, only to find the mess on top of your bed.

Some days I wish I could diaper my cats.

Christine said...

Matt asked if I needed him to go over it. He said he's been thinking of shampooing the entire car for awhile now. He can be my guest. =)