Tuesday, October 21, 2008

impressing the boss

Yesterday was a true case of the Monday's for me. To start, it was a cold, cold morning. We had to switch from A/C to heat for the first time this season. If this weather keeps up our grass is going to go dormant in no time and turn into it's depressing death brown that lasts all Winter and on into the Spring. I'm not a fan of the Winter can you tell? Then Monday afternoon Matt had to leave, once again, on a business trip. But the ultimate addition to my case of the Mondays came right before Matt left. Apparently, Harris Group (Matt's company) isn't immune to the current state of the economy and they decided to cut all their employees pay by 10-15%.

Now when you make $500,000 a year, 10% is a pretty big chunk! Even when you make as little as Matt does, 10% will still be a big chunk for us...who are barely making by at his current salary. Since Matt refuses to buy/live off of/ or otherwise take advantage of any sort of credit (THIS IS A GOOD THING PEOPLE) we will be looking for other ways to cut back on expenses. Send me all your money saving tips and ideas...thanks.
Despite the bad news his boss just gave him, Matt still invited him over for dinner on Thursday when they get back from their business trip. At first thought I entertained the idea of serving only chicken broth with crackers and water for dinner to emphasize the fact that this cut in pay is a hardship for us but then thought that wouldn't be in the best interest of any of us. Instead I decided to make my Goat Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts from the weekly menu but instead of the Brussel Sprouts I decided to substitute a Greek salad. But I just may have found the perfect event to use up the rest of my powdered milk. tsk tsk.
And now on to lighter topics...
For some reason when Miss Cricket e-mailed the Bunco ladies asking if anyone would be willing to trade for her November hosting I e-mailed back and said I would love to exchange her November for my March. (the kids' birthdays are both in March so I don't know why I initially thought I'd add a Bunco hosting that month too.) So now I have to host 12 ladies over for dinner, drinks and dessert in 3 1/2 weeks. Yikes. So Who Wants to Come Help? GG is still in the "nut house" recovering from her surgery so although she has experience...she's out...so who's in? comment me...seriously! Free room and board...just get here. =)
While Lauren was at school today Tyler and I stopped into the grocery store to get what we needed for Thursday night's dinner. After the groceries were 'got' we stopped into Target to check out what they had for Halloween costumes. We lucked out and found Tyler a cute Thomas the Train costume. We also got Lauren a couple of cheap accessories (fake blond hair and a princess tiara) to go with her princess costume we are going to make from her dress up clothes. Here's Tyler displaying his costume. Just imagine the battle we had when I told him he had to take it off to eat dinner. No Fun!
While I made dinner, Lauren played on my computer. Today she played at Playhouse Disney. Her other favorite website is Sesame Street. Here she in Enthralled.
And speaking of dinner. Here's my review of last night's Chicken Cheese steaks with Peppers.



Although the picture doesn't do it justice. The sandwiches were delicious. Even the kids ate a bite or two... I love provolone cheese, plus the mayonnaise I used sent it over the top. I may be weird but I love taste of the new mayo with olive oil. Or if you're West of the Rockies check out this mayo with olive oil. Hellman's or Best Foods...I Love the Taste.

Tonight's dinner was my One Pot Pasta. I just boiled some noodles, added broccoli, roasted red peppers from the fridge, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and fresh grated parm. cheese. To my dish I added red pepper flakes and it was deliciously lite. I broiled some bread seasoned with butter and garlic salt for the kids and I. All of us ate a good dinner.



After dinner the kids played while I mopped, rinsed and dried the hard wood floors. The best thing about Matt inviting his boss over for dinner on Thursday is that I'm going to get the house clean. So far the fridge and hardwood floors are done. Next I have dusting, vacuuming, and bathroom cleaning to do. So now you know how my Wednesday will be spent. Night Y'all.

No comments: