Thursday, October 23, 2008

I can't be snarky tonight

Yesterday Tyler had a playdate. It was a good turn-out. 2 boys and 3 girls all within months of the same age. Here's a pic of Tyler "playing" with 2 of his friends. It may look like they are all having fun but Tyler and Sam (Samantha) are in a struggle to the death over control of the pink and purple tricycle. Tyler ended up winning this battle but only because Sam's mom came and pulled her off. Maybe next week we'll talk about taking turns.
When we got home from the playdate and from picking Lauren up from school we found a HUGE box waiting for us on our front step. It was addressed to Tyler and Lauren from Grandma Jan and Grandpa Michael. We immediately tore in and found some Halloween presents waiting. They each got a T-shirt from the M & M factory in Las Vegas and a Grandma Jan painted pumpkin which they have not let leave their sight since. Here they are posing with their presents.
And that about sums our day yesterday.
Now on to impressing the boss at dinner today:
So you know when you just hit it off with someone? When you feel as if you’ve known them your entire life even though you've only met 5 min. ago? Well that was how it was with Matt’s boss tonight. He was just a sweet sweet man. He commented on how much he liked my house. He said my dinner smelled delicious as it was cooking. He then went on to eat every last bite on his plate praising the food I made. How could I be anything but adoring to him. I wanted to be snarky…I wanted to be bitter…I wanted him to know that this 10% cut in pay was going to kick us while we’re down. But I just couldn’t follow through. I mean even this dear, sweet man is also taking a 15% cut in pay himself.

So anyway, dinner was great. I made my goat cheese and spinach stuffed chicken breasts with a Greek salad and some not quite home made Pillsbury refrigerated dinner rolls. Mr. Dave expressed his gratitude when I told him I selflessly substituted my originally planned brussel sprouts for the salad. He said his parents forced him to eat brussel sprouts as a kid so I’m glad I let them slide for this first impression.
Here I am trying to look my best as the cute little housewife. Check out the wee bit of cleavage exposed by my contemporary apron.
I don't normally buy "organic" but Kroger conveniently puts their granola section very close to the front door and so when I ran in there the other day I opted not to dive deep into the store and instead stick to product that was nearby. I bought these organic chickpeas. And I felt it necessary to say that I actually could taste a difference. They had a deeper color and a less slimy texture. These were much better than their store brand competitors.
(and Sorry Grandma Jan...Lauren is just heart broken that she played with her pumpkin so much that she actually dropped it TWICE and caused some of the paint to flake off....oh man did she cry!)

Well since Matt's home now I've assigned him bedtime duty and the kids are all in their PJs with teeth brushed so it's about time I start pitching in and read a bedtime story or 3.

No comments: