Tuesday, August 19, 2008

We Have a Pre-schooler!

Lauren had her first day of pre-school today. She was very excited to go to school. (a little disappointed that I didn’t let her wear her new pink tennis shoes which light up with each step but her black shoes just matched her outfit better.) We got to meet her teachers yesterday and check out her room so she wasn’t too nervous this morning. I dropped her off in the drop-off/pick-up line and she walked all the way from the car to her classroom (accompanied by a teacher, of course.) For some reason I almost had tears in my eyes. She was such a big girl and didn’t even need (cry for me) to walk her into her classroom. Independence is bittersweet.

While she was at school, Tyler and I went to the YMCA. I did a warm up on the bike and then did a much needed workout on the weight machines. I can do cardio like nothing but for some reason I abhor the weight machines. It felt great and the perfect ending to my workout was a complimentary cup of coffee from the Y’s coffee machine….well that and seeing Tyler engrossed in play at the child watch when I came to get him. One of the workers there commented on what how much he’s grown and progressed. It’s been quite awhile since we’ve been to the Y and she also commented on that. I’m pretty sure we’ll be seeing much more of the YMCA now that we are back on a school schedule…a 5-day a week schedule at that.

After the Y we went straight to the school to pick up Lauren. This first week of school they are going from 9am-11am. Next week will start the regular school hours of 9-12. I can’t imagine sending any 4 year old to school longer than that. (The public pre-schools here in GA do though. The bus picks them up at 7am and drops them off at 3pm)

Lauren was pretty tired of talking when she got in the car but I managed to get out of her her favorite part of the day. SNACK TIME…she had a cookie “just a cookie Mommy, quit asking me.” And her least favorite part of the day was when she cried, “because a paper clip was in my way and I couldn’t paint there.”

To celebrate her first day of school we packed up a lunch at home and headed to the pool. We swam and ate for a couple of hours and then headed home for naps. I even got a short nap in before I headed to the basement to watch General Hospital while walking on the treadmill.

After nap the kids played while I made dinner. For the next 5 days (minus Friday when I’m going out to eat with Dana) I’ll be cooking a recipe I found on my numerous favorite blogs. Tonight is Shrimp with Roasted Peppers and Feta from Carrots n Cake and Pears with Yogurt and Cheddar from Good Thymes & Good Food.



Lauren, Daddy and I thought the entire meal was delicious. I’ll be using the Pears as a dish for Bunco when I host next March, for sure. They were so simple and very very good. Tyler, unfortunately refused to try even one bite of either dish. It’s probably because I gave him 3 cups of milk while he was waiting for dinner. Live and learn…tomorrow they will get water before dinner.

For the rest of the night…Daddy and Tyler are heading off to Home Depot to buy who knows what and Lauren and I will hang out at home. Then it’s Big Brother and bed for me.

No comments: