Sunday, August 24, 2008

corn tastes better on the cobb


After this meal I went straight out and bought 20 ears of corn. I found a veggie they both like and they will be seeing a lot more of it.

We had a great first week of school and Tyler and I also enjoyed getting out of the house and to the YMCA a couple of times too. I'm already much more productive with my days and with preparing the night ahead. I just realized how much I love (need) a schedule.

Every day after school I ask Lauren the 3 questions and almost everyday her answers are the same.
1. What is your favorite thing about the day? usually it is eating a snack.
2. What is your least favorite thing about the day? not getting to play with something because there are already too many kids playing with it. (she doesn't like big crowds)
3. What did you learn today? so far I don't believe she's learned anything yet...it's always "nothing, Mommy"

On Thursday while I was preparing for the weekend children's services Tyler had a break through in the child care room. They went outside to play and I saw him chasing the kids, throwing saw dust (with another little boy) at a little girl and actually interacting and having a great time. He was so sweaty from running around when I picked him up. I was so proud...we'll have that talk about not throwing things at people later but right now I'm just encouraging the interaction.

Thursday night I made Caper and Bean Salad Melts. I loved!! these. Matt said they were good but he looked at me side-ways when I said these were my new favorite quick vegetarian meal. You'll have to try them out and see what you think. They were so good that all I could think about was eating them that I didn't think to take a picture. You can find them here on the Kath Eats Real Food blog. I tripled the recipe and used canned pinto beans and a slab of sour cream since I ran out of yogurt.

Friday night was Matt's Fantasy Football draft. Since they guys were coming over here, I had Casey come sit with the kids and got the H out. Dana and I planned on seeing a movie but we were having too good of a time eating (and a couple of drinks too) that we decided to nix the movie idea and just enjoy our dinner instead. We started off with a drink at Red Robin and then headed across the street to Tokyo for dinner. It's been awhile since the two of us had gotten out together and was a lot of fun.

Saturday morning Lauren had her first swim lesson at the Y. She was a little (very) nervous since she didn't have her life jacket and floaties on but the teacher worked with her and slowly she warmed up (a little bit.) Next week the parents have to sit out of the pool area. There are glass windows so we may watch but the kids will pay better attention to the teacher without us parents sitting right next to them. Next week Tyler will start a Daddy and Me swim class too so that should be more fun for him than just having to watch Lauren.

Tyler's new swim suit. He's ready for lessons now and can't go wrong with either Thomas the Train or Cars on his swim trunks.
For dinner last night I attempted the Arroz con Pollo from the Canela & Comino blog. This was less than par. I didn't have enough cilantro, or the aji amarillo (I used a jalapeno instead) but it was more than that. I'm going to try it again but just tweak the recipe a bit. Definitely won't cook my chicken for 25 min. It came out the consistency of rubber tire pieces. Oh well, it will be better next time.


No comments: