Friday, August 15, 2008

Lauren visits the Dentist

Lauren had her 2nd visit to the Dentist this week. She did great...so her Daddy tells me. He was able to go in late to work in order to experience this exciting event. Tyler and I were there also but we stayed in the lobby (slash) theatre & entertainment room. We watched Jimmy Neutron and then played with some other toys they had in there. Lauren did exactly as she was told during the check-up and had no problem ignoring the uncomfortable feeling of having her teeth worked on since she was watching a movie on a tv screen in the ceiling!! Dentists sure have changed since my day. She came out with instructions to floss daily (yeah, okay) and to brush more efficiently on her molars. No cavities though, of course.


The other highlight of our Wednesday was due to my favorite (my only!) son Tyler. At lunch he somehow managed to spill his cup of milk THREE TIMES. The first two I remained pretty cool. I happily? cleaned up the dripping white 2 percent off the table, off the floor and in between the damn crack in the middle of the table. But the third time he spilled his milk...I lost control. I yelled, I hollered, I probably even cussed. I caused enough commotion that had I been directing it to Lauren she would have crumpled into tears. But not my Tyler. He sat there quietly, listening to my break-down and then actually had the nerve to Crack A Smile. After seeing this reaction I was actually relieved and calmed down myself. It's only spilled milk....Right?! So what if I make him drink out of a bottle from now on??

On Thursday after Prep (preparing for Sunday school at church) I wanted to run a few errands. It was about lunch time so we stopped into Chik-fil-A to eat before heading to Target and Kroger. Chik-fil-A was a wonderful experience. The hostess (this wonderful establishment actually has a hostess...her name tag said so.) helped me out immensly. She set the kids up with place mats, chatted with them, encouraged them to eat all their food because there would be a treat when they did, and then brought them a free cup of ice-cream. It was such a good time that I plan on going back at least once a week. Plus, I don't need to order me any food since I can just eat what they don't of their kids meals.

At Target.......our troubles began. Tyler wanted to sit in the "big girl seat" (the big part of the shopping cart...not the seat intended for the little ones.) I told him no that he needed to sit in the front of the cart....it was all over after that. He was crying, screaming and throwing a fit during the entire (yet very quick) shopping trip. I pretended I didn't realize he was upset and went along with my shopping. We managed to find Lauren a new backpack for school. She chose a "Littlest Pet Shop" backpack. It looks huge on her but since I tightened the straps as far as they would go it seems to fit. We'll find out next Tuesday when she has her first day of school.


Today, Friday, we hosted playgroup. Abigail and her mom were able to make it and we took advantage of the mild temps and sunny weather and went swimming in the neighborhood pool. We had so much fun swimming that we went back to the pool after dinner. I wanted to show Matt how well Lauren was swimming by herself with the life jacket and the floaties. She's full of confidence now.

For dinner I made Creamless, Creamy Tomato Soup. This was very delicious and used bread chunks in lieu of cream. This was from the Cook's Illustrated magazine but unfortunately they want to charge me to view the recipe on-line. However, I was able to search for it on another site and found it. So please enjoy if you're in the mood for some Tomato Soup. I love this magazine but I don't like how stingy they are regarding their recipes. Next week I'll be cooking from my Everday Food magazine I just got in the mail. They seem to be more giving regarding their recipes.

Enjoy your Friday.

No comments: