Monday, January 23, 2012

Adventures of a Room Mom: Valentine's Day Craft Idea

Lauren's school Valentine's Day party is just 3 weeks away and I need to come up with a craft.

My idea:  A Chalkboard Valentine for Someone Special
I'm on a chalkboard spray-paint kick plus I have some on hand.
What do you think?

I went to Lowes and bought a 10 cent 4x4 inch tile to try it out.

I painted it with the chalkboard spray paint.
(3 coats, let dry in between, wait 24 hours after final coat)

additional supplies:
chalk, glue,


squares of tissue paper, and the flat end of a pencil eraser

For my demo I used blue squares of tissue paper for my heart
(yes, it's a heart (like this heart)...when the glue dried I shaped it into a more defined heart)

I added a personal message and we have a
Chalkboard Valentine for Someone Special
(and I believe it's at the 2nd grade level too)

I hope it is because I went ahead and bought enough 10 cent tiles for the whole class.
The chalkboard paint is drying in the basement as I type.


3 comments:

Anne C said...

I think this is a great idea! I was a little nervous about the spray paint, but now that I see that you are painting them before hand...not worried at all! They will love it! Oh...I'm making the friendship bracelets from Pinterest for my kiddos instead of Valentine cards. :)

Anonymous said...

Very cute & unique!! The kids will have fun making these. Grandma Jan

Ellen said...

I soooo want to try this!