Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving Y'all

I woke up this morning after a long night's sleep (I went to bed at 8:30 last night) childishly excited for this holiday. It's just our little family of four but it's still Thanksgiving and I want it to be special none-the-less. Matt got started on the Prime Rib (no turkey for us today) and I got the kids some breakfast and then turned on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. This has always been the start of the holiday season for me. Macy's Parade, Football, lots of Fuss in the Kitchen for a Meal Consumed in 30 min Tops, Naps, Hauling Up Christmas Decos from the Basement, Christmas Tree, big old-fashioned eye-sore Lights on the House and then pretty soon my Family Will Be Here For Christmas. What is there not to be excited for. (sorry for all the Capitals...I told you I was Excited.)

So while I'm watching the parade on TV I'll recap the last 2 days.

Tuesday:
Lauren and Tyler fought ALL DAY LONG. The skill of subtle annoyance and the ability to send your brother into a mad fit of rage must be hereditary. However, I honed my skills so as to not bother my parents in the process (right Mom?!!)
In response to Lauren's constant irritations and life's other frustrations, Tyler has developed many different versions of the word No. I hope you can all be so lucky to hear each one.
The first one is saved for me. It is a very loud "NO THANK YOU" at which point he'll fall stomach to the ground no matter where he is and cover his eyes. His No Thank You brings chuckles to others in the grocery store, library, middle of the cross walk, or wherever we are but it sounds like fingernails on a chalk board to me.
The second no is reserved for Lauren. It is a loud "NO" followed by a shrieking and prolonged scream and sometimes hitting.
The third is a loud guttoral NO. This is when the forces of nature ruin his not-so-well thought out plans. Such as when they knock over his top heavy lopsided tower of blocks or make his rubber ducky float instead of sink.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that Tyler is going through a "stage" right now. Let it pass...Let is pass.
When Matt called from work on Tuesday saying he had free tickets to the GA Tech basketball game I was ready to go!
We had Casey come watch the kids and we left for Atlanta early so we could have a nice relaxing ("NO word" free) dinner. We ate dinner at Ecco in Midtown. Dinner was so relaxing and delicious. Neither Matt nor I felt in top shape but we both agreed it was still very nice to get out and enjoy each other. From the restaurant it was just a 15 min. walk (and only through one sketchy street corner) to the Thrillerdome. GA Tech has some tall starters. The shortest were 6'5" and the tallest was 6'10". Must be all those black-eyed peas, collard greens and fried chicken the boys in the South are raised on.Here's a picture from our nose bleed (but remember FREE) seats. Matt and I stayed until half-time and then fought the airport traffic to get home. (I guess Hartford-Jackson was having some electricity problems and traffic was backed up all the way from the airport to the interstates. Crazy traffic at 9pm!)
I had to get to bed to be ready for my 7:40am Mohs surgery on Wednesday. I was extremely nervous and even to the point of tears. I felt foolish but they came out of nowhere. I was just sure that the surgery was going to leave a huge crater in my chest. But luckily the first slice of tissue Dr. Chastain took out got it all. He then stitched me up and I was out of there in only 2 hours. The bandage looks huge for what little they did.

poor me...

Although it was just a simple out patient procedure with very little pain, the outpouring of support from friends has been amazing. 2 families from our community group contributed to a hot meal of Shepherd's Pie, Rolls and a tasty dessert. (many thanks to the Wilsons and the Walkers...I want the recipe to the Shepherd's Pie.) And Claudine brought over a care package with soothing tea, gummy fish for me only, slices of red velvet and german chocolate cake and some yummy blondies. There have also been numerous phone calls, e-mails and Facebook comments expressing concern and prayers. I have the best set of friends in the world.

Post-operative care includes taking a round of anti-biotics just to be safe, pain pills (which I don't need) and no heavy lifting or activity for one week. The stitches are self-dissolving and I can remove the Steri-Strips in 2 weeks. Super easy but there will still be a scar. (were the trips to the tanning bed worth it? probably not)

And now I'll be taking it easy until it's time to get started on our Thanksgiving dinner. I'm going to make hot dinner rolls from scratch and a green bean and artichoke casserole along with mashed potatoes and gravy. Add the prime rib and it will be a tasty dinner. Dessert has already been taken care of by Claudine.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and Thankful Thanksgiving.

No comments: