Sunday, September 11, 2011

Nine Eleven, Two Thousand Eleven


I didn't plan on writing a post about 9/11/01 but I found myself working on another post for 9/11/11 and I thought it would only be right to share something in memory of the event.  Here is my insignificant experience of the tragedy from 10 years ago

9/11/2001
5:45am (PST):  I woke up for work as usual, turned on the radio and hopped in the shower.
6:00am (PST):  I got out of the shower and heard the local radio DJs saying they are "speechless and there are no words to describe."
6:01am (PST):  I was extremely curious so I turned on the TV news to watch.  I don't know if I watched it live or not but I remember watching the second plane fly into the tower.  I thought "this is surreal."

Not long after:  I called Matt (my husband for less than a month) in Texas where he was working.  He hadn't heard anything yet so I had him turn on the TV.

The Next Few Days:  I went to work (at Holt International) and everyone was in shock.  We went through the motions.  Matt tried to come home but all flights were grounded.  His company ended up chartering private planes to get their employees home or as close to home as possible.  Matt and I lived in Eugene, OR at the time and the closest his company could get him was Los Angeles, CA.  After two days of waiting and a 15-hour car ride, Matt was finally home.  I remember needing him to be home with me.

9/11/2011
Today I watched the 10 year Remembrance of the 9/11 attack.  I cried like a baby, my stomach physically ached when I watched the real life stories of the families who lost loved ones.  I cried the hardest when I saw the segment on all the babies who were in utero when they lost their parent (father) in the attack.  They were all almost 10 years old.  I can't believe it has been 10 years.
I remember the morning it happened so vividly and forever.


No comments: