Sunday, September 18, 2011

Meal of the Week


I like just about EVERYTHING food related.
You suggest a restaurant?  I'll go and I'll like it.
You make me a dinner? You betcha I'll like it!

I make a different dinner just about every night and pretty much every time I do...gosh darn, I Like It.
I'm the perfect (easy) dinner date let me tell you.

Since I like most dinners I don't, however, think of them as anything special.  
Today though, I tasted SPECIAL!
This just may be one of my favorite dinners yet.
(ask Matt, he'll confirm)

Crock Pot Kalua Pork

Ingredients:
3 lb pork shoulder blade or pork butt roast (not the pork shoulder picnic)
1 T. sea salt
2c. cooked rice
AWESOME GRAVY

Directions:
Spray crock pot with cooking spray (the clean-up crew will thank you.)
Place pork in crock pot and stab all over with knife or fork.  Rub sea salt all over pork.  Drizzle with liquid smoke.  Set crock pot to low and cook 12 to 16 hours (I let it cook all night and into the next morning.)  After 12 hours check temperature.  Once thermometer reads 160 degrees it is done.  Let rest 15 minutes and then (easily) shred.  Reserve juices for an AWESOME GRAVY and store shredded pork in the fridge until ready to eat.

20 minutes before dinner (or 50 minutes for brown rice,) make the white rice (follow directions on bag.) Warm up the kalua pork in the microwave and make the AWESOME GRAVY!!  

Awesome Gravy:
My crockpot yielded about a cup of juice from the pork butt.  Set the reserved juices to a simmer on the stove-top and once simmering add a mixture of 2 T. flour and 3 T. water.  Whisk together and continue to simmer.  Add by (awesome) spoonful to the warmed up kalua pork and rice.


BOOYAH!  Recipe of the Week!

No comments: