Thursday, August 20, 2009

Big Day and then some

It was a BIG DAY today!! However, since I haven't blogged in almost a whole week I will need to back track before spilling today's beans.

Let's talk about FOOD. (one of my favorite subjects...I'll have you know)

This week was a "pantry week." Instead of making up a menu and buying groceries to fill that menu; I instead, just cooked what I had in my fridge and pantry.

Spinach-Feta Greek Pizza (from Rachael Ray)
I made my own pizza dough (to save money.)





The pizza was De-lish. Lauren was all over it and even Tyler asked for two or three! more pieces.

Today we had Baked Lemon Chicken w/ Mushroom Sauce over brown rice and sauteed bell peppers & zucchini. I found the Lemon Chicken recipe from Recipematcher.com. This is a site where you type in what you have in the fridge and pantry and it will suggest dinner recipes for you. Awesome. And dinner was Awesome too.


Enough about food. Let's move on to Tyler's first day of school. Three Year Old Pre-School to be more precise.

Monday was "Meet the Teacher" Day. Tyler had a blast meeting his teachers and telling them a bunch of stories. The teachers commented on how they liked his Spider T-Shirt. In turn he told them this story.
"One day we had a red spider in our house and Daddy banged it and then it didn't move any more."
Yep...That's my boy.

And finally Thursday came. Tyler's OFFICIAL first day of school.

The obligatory "in front of the door" photo.
in the car, on the way to school
(it's sideways...I know...I'm too lazy to turn it around)
Mrs. Beadling shows Tyler what to do with his "communications folder" and backpack before he comes into the classroom.
...the folder goes here...
and then it was on to some serious playtime.
I had to ask the boy to say Good Bye to me.
I knew he'd have a good day.
After I dropped Tyler off I headed over to Lauren's Dentist's office. Matt took her to her appointment so I could see Tyler off to school.
Here's a pic of Lauren showing her two Very Loose Teeth. (on the bottom, the center-left and the one to the left of that.)
Here's my big girl gliding through a cavity-free dental check-up. She's too busy to look at me since she's watching a movie on the TV in the ceiling.
The dentist said her teeth look beautiful. He ALSO said she needs to start wiggling those loose teeth of hers. Apparently, if you don't give the loose teeth a good wiggle to spread things out in there then the permanent teeth won't grow in straight. Hmmm...Who Knew?!
He also said she needs to stop sucking her thumb since it's starting to cause a problem with her bite. (Six months ago they told me that it was still okay....so 5 years old is about the turning point....so y'all know.)
In the parking lot of the Dentist's office I showed her how to wiggle her loose teeth.
While wiggling I happened to nudge (aka quickly pull) one out.
YAY!! She lost her first tooth today!!!


We went directly to Lauren's school from the dentist's office (minus one tooth.)
We made it just in time for her to participate in the Fun Run.
This was the event I was going to request multi-state sponsors but didn't because I didn't think she would be able to participate. Thank You to all of you who offered to sponsor Lauren. Next time we'll definitely hit you up. =)
Here are some shots of the Fun Run.



They gave her a Fun Run T-Shirt and on the back they marked off a square for every lap she ran. My future marathon runner ran a total of 27 laps.
Yay Lauren!
I left the Fun Run to pick Tyler up from his school.
Here I am waiting in the pick-up line.
and here come Mr. T.
a bashful Mr. T.
Once in the car I got him talking.
Things he liked about school:
1. "playing with cars and trains”
2. “looking at the lady-bug” (he meant the "caterpillar" which lists the class rules.)
3. “I liked eating.” “I eated cookies, cookies?, maybe I eated pretzels and maybe that was all.”
4. “I like-ed everything.”

What he did not Like:
“I didn’t like sitting down, even though I was sitting down on my knees like this.”
I'm so proud of my favorite boy after his first day of school. Go Tyler!!
After Lauren got home from school we practiced her tooth wiggling some more. While teaching her the family wiggling technique I was able to tweak and quickly pull out her other loose tooth.
This is monumental. My baby girl lost her first TWO teeth in ONE day. Good Lord.
And the following pics show them off.
holding her baby teeth
a gross close-up...but I'm a MOM...deal with it.

Lauren checks out her new look in the mirror.
What a day, what a Day!!
Before bed we read Little Thumb by Wanda Dionne.
Lauren is naturally, having a rough time giving up the thumb-sucking. We made a deal that she would only suck her thumb in her bed for the next week. After that she will give up the thumb for good. So far she's doing great. It breaks my heart to see her struggle with this first
Big Life Dilemma.
She's a smart and strong girl so I know she can do it.
And this concludes our Big Day and then some.

No comments: