Sunday, July 12, 2009

the Weekend Wind-up

I'd like to start off with a BIG Thank-You to my two commenters from my previous post. I'm sure a handfull and a half of you read this blog but only a few seem to leave comments...ever!
So I'd like to take a few and chat with my favorite commenting friends for a minute. =)

Sam- I hope you are having fun with your family in Ohio. Someday I will visit that state. As for my thoughts on the Final Episode, Season 4 of WEEDS. It was good. However, I thought it was a bit "day-time soap opera-ish" to have Nancy prepared with the ultra-sound picture right when she was about to die. But hey...what a way to trap the big boss?!! I'm very excited to see how it all turns out when I can finally rent Season 5!

Claudine- What a fabulous idea. I've read the first 4 or 5 books in the Sookie Stackhouse series so after I finish this post I'm going to add the first season of True Blood to my queue!! That should help to pass some of the time until I can rent Weeds again. btw, we need to get together soon...if only to swim in your pool. [wink]

Brain- thanks for the disturbing yet very entertaining and educating video for Tyler.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMgSjPYjIag

And now on to our day. Painting the basement bathroom completely motivated Matt. He had so much fun that he decided to lay the concrete in the shower. Next and final step: laying the tile.

(Have I mentioned how much I love this guy?!)

While Matt worked on the bathroom I decided to break up my 3-month jogging craze with some interval training. I did 2 different 20-minute treadmill interval workouts. Let me tell you my glutes are killing me...and that is A Good Thing!
Later the kids wanted to play in the sprinkler and the slip-n-slide. They are so close to figuring out how to run and slide. But in the meantime they still have fun ever so cautiously. =)
Chloe escaped for a few minutes of freedom in the sun.
While the kids and cat played outside Matt got started on the Greek Pork Tenderloin I needed grilled for tonight's dinner. Although I seasoned it, Matt and the kids added their own special seasoning to it as well. Let me tell you, it turned out de-lish.
While the meat was a-grillin' I made up a batch of Snickerdoodle cookies. Matt had mentioned earlier in the day that he was craving cookies. So I thought I would surprise him and make him some. <<>>
and yes, that's my bite mark out of one of the cookies. I had to test the quality, you know?!
For dinner we had "Greek Pork Tenderloin with Red Pepper Sauce" served with spinach couscous.
Greek Pork Tenderloin with Red Pepper Sauce
from BHG Eat Well, Lose Weight cookbook
ingredients:
1 1-lb pork tenderloin
3/4 t. Greek seasoning
1 lg red sweet pepper, stemmed, seeded, and quartered
2 T. balsamic vinegar
1/8 t. salt
1 1/4 c. water
3/4 c. couscous
2 c. shredded or coarsely chopped fresh spinach
directions:
1. Trim fat from tenderloin. Sprinkle tenderloin with 1/2 t. Greek seasoning. Over a charcoal grill place pepper quarters and tenderloin on grill over the coals. Cover and grill until the peppers are tender (about 15 min. and turning once during grilling.) Remove peppers. Continue to grill the tenderloin until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the tenderloin registers 155 degrees (up to 20 min. longer.)
2. Remove tenderloin from grill. Cover tightly with foil; let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. The temperature of the meat after standing should be 160 degrees.
3. When peppers are done, remove from grill and cool slightly. For red pepper sauce, place peppers in a blender or food processor. Add balsamic vinegar and salt. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Keep warm.
4. In a medium saucepan bring water and remaining 1/4 t. Greek seasoning to boiling. Add couscous; remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 min. Stir in spinach.
5. To serve, slice tenderloin. Serve with couscous mixture and red pepper sauce.
Makes 4 servings.

The tenderloin was awesome. It was good with the Greek seasoning but made better with the random seasonings the kids and Matt put on them while they were grilling. Yumm! Also a huge hit was the roasted red pepper sauce. I had some jarred roasted red peppers left in the fridge from a previous meal so I added them to the grilled red peppers. It was very tasty and could go with just about any type of meat. The couscous, however, could have used more seasoning...but with a little salt and pepper it was very good. This was a very healthy and flavorful meal. I highly recommend it!
Oh no...I just realized I'm late for Big Brother. At least my trusty TIVO is recording it. For those of you (are any of you?!!) Die-Hard Big Brother fans I highly recommend you check out the Dish Chicks blog at www.bbdish.blogspot.com. Ms Caroline gets the live feeds and she blogs about what is happening above and beyond what they show on TV. It's addicting and (obnoxious if you ask my husband.)

1 comment:

DesignerSam said...

Yeah it was definitely an interesting ending... I watched some of the new ones, I am just not liking the show as much as I did in the beginning... TruBlood is also very good! The second season so far is looking better than the first.

Ohio is good, not nearly as hot. :)

I love your recipes that you include in your blogs, and your photos! Yours are definitely fun blogs to read!