Saturday, July 11, 2009

Happy Saturday.

On Friday we finally ventured out of the house after 2 full days of potty training. I was so nervous but everything went just fine. I got the kids' hair cut and even stopped by Walmart for a few things. At Walmart we visited the family bathroom and I made Tyler sit on the toilet. He sat and he went!! Yay.

Back home we had lunch and then Lea came over to play. Somehow the three of them managed to tear Lauren's room up. Besides playing tornado they watched Cinderella in the basement.

Tyler had two "on purposes" yesterday. The first time, being the first one, he thought was a little exciting. He didn't think it was much fun, however, after he spent 30 minutes in his bedroom to "rest."

Slowly, yet surely, I think he's learning. Today he actually came up to me and told me he needed to go potty. In the past I've always made him go sit on the toilet and try. We're making progress. I'm actually pretty confident in my toilet training ability now that if anyone wants to hire me...I'm interested and available, although I may be a bit spendy...but just because I'm So Good! =)

Last night I had my monthly Bunco game. I actually WON!! I had the most "wins" and came home with the grand prize of $15. Not only that, I also won the door prize. I got a cool Koozi and a gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond. Yay Me.

Today Matt started his "free" weekend painting project in the basement bathroom. While he painted Lauren entertained herself on the poker table with a little Jenga...
and Tyler took a 30 minute "rest" after having an "on-purpose" in the basement workshop.

Here are a few pictures of the unfolding bathroom painting drama....

(not bad for free paint samples?!!)

While I made dinner for the family, Lauren also prepared a big meal. She's quite the pretend cook I must say.

Dinner tonight was Chicken Cacciatore from my BHG Eat Well, Lose Weight cookbook. This is one of Matt's favorite dishes so I try to make it every so often. He said this tasted pretty good. (which I took to meaning, it was Absolutely Fantabulous)
Chicken Cacciatore
ingredients:
1 T. olive oil
6 small bone-in chicken breast halves, skinned (I used 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
1 medium onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 14oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1/2 c. dry white wine
1 t. dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. black pepper (I used closer to 1/4 t. because I love me some pepper.)
6oz dried multigrain or whole grain fettuccine or linguine, cooked according to package directions
(I used Trader Joe's Organic Sprouted Wheat Pappardelle Pasta instead)
2 T. small fresh basil leaves. (unfortunately, I forgot to add these for the photo...and for taste...BUMMER!)
directions:
1. In a very large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; brown chicken on all sides, turning to brown evenly. Remove chicken, reserving drippings in skillet. Set chicken aside.
2. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic to drippings in skillet. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or just until vegetables are tender. Return chicken to skillet.

3. In a medium bowl combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, dry white wine, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Pour over chicken in skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning once during cooking.


Serve over hot cooked pasta. Sprinkle with Basil. Makes 6 servings.
I steamed some Carrots and Broccoli and also made some freezer bizkits to accompany.

We all enjoyed this meal, even L and T cleaned their plates and then each got grapes and a banana as a reward. =)
On the agenda tonight ,after the kiddos go to bed, is the final DVD of the Showtime series "Weeds." Matt and I (and Brian) have been watching the entire series via NetFlix. Finally we are down to our last DVD. It will be a bitter sweet evening as we finish this series and then have to wait another entire year to rent the 5th season. This brings back Sopranos memories. I should just break down and order Showtime...and HBO.

2 comments:

DesignerSam said...

I love reading about your dishes and recipes! I will definitely have to try out some of these, yum!

I LOVE Weeds... definitely one of my favorites, let me know what you think of the ending of this one! :P

Claudine said...

I love Weeds! We just made it through the first season of True Blood on DVD....if you are looking for a new show to watch. The second season just started on HBO.