Thursday, July 23, 2009

Kids Incorporated

You all remember that show, right?!! Well, I do at least and I especially remember my favorite character was Stacy...I think at one point in my young life I wanted to "be" her!
After deciding to title my post "Kids Incorporated" I did a google search on the show and found out that my favorite (BFF) Stacy is Stacy Ferguson who is better known today as FERGIE!! Have I been in the dark all these years...or is this a surprise to you too?

Ok, I'll calm down.

Wednesday was a kid day for sure. We had our weekly playgroup in the morning and then in the afternoon Lea came over to play and awhile later Tera joined the group. These kids were all over the place.
poor quality picture but it shows their goofiness
(and no, it's not bedtime but the middle of the afternoon)

See & Speak no Evil, Hear no Evil, Duck from Evil and Tongue-out to Evil
(I suppose)
Tyler probably weighs as much as Lea but she doesn't seem to mind.

after the house was thoroughly played in they set their eyes on the back yard
Lea had no interest walking in the forest so she stayed with me.
That's an impromptu hug by Tyler!!
and they're off

Dinner was a 2 meal dinner. I don't normally make a 2nd dinner when I don't think my kids will eat the first. However, since we had a guest (Tera) I decided to be nice and make the kids Mac 'n Cheese.
Matt and I lucked out though because the Rotini with Sausage, Black-Eyed Peas and Spinach I made for us was de-LISH.
It was based on the following recipe....(my changes are in red.)
Whole-Wheat Shells with Chickpeas and Arugula
ingredients
8 ounces uncooked wholewheat shells (multi-color rotini instead)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 ¾ cups cooked chickpeas (about one 15-ounce can) (no chickpeas so used a can of black-eyed peas instead....oooh another Fergie reference!!)
4 packed cups arugula, chopped (spinach instead)
1/3 cup packed golden raisins (omitted)
3 links sweet Italian chicken sausage, cooked and sliced
1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
4 ounces crumbled feta
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

directions
Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add shells (rotini) and cook about 8 minutes, or until tender but still al dente. Drain and transfer to a medium-large bowl. Immediately drizzle with olive oil and toss to distribute.
While pasta is still hot, add chickpeas (black-eyed peas,) arugula (spinach,) raisins (sliced sausage,) and tomatoes and toss gently. Cool to room temperature, then stir in feta. Taste and add salt (feta tends to be salty, so go easy) and black pepper, if desired. Top with toasted walnuts, if using, and serve.
Boom Boom Pow that was a great and easy dinner!!

3 comments:

Christine said...

I forgot to provide the source of the recipe. It's from Shape magazine. You can find it here:

http://www.origin.shape.com/healthy_eating/recipes/whole_wheat_shells_with_chickpeas_and_arugula

Anne C said...

I have to say I knew that Stacey was Fergie...but everytime I talk to people about that they think I'm crazy....I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who watched Kids Inc. and that someone else out there is just as excited about the connection as I am!!!
Anne C.

Tammy said...

Okay I had nooooo clue Stacy was Fergie!! That is crazy! See I always learn something new from you!! I have to say though I have a hard time reading about your meals because they make my tacos or turkey and potato meals look very boring!! :( Hope you all are great!! I can't believe how big the kids are!!
Miss you all!