Tuesday, June 23, 2009

where are my innocent little babies?

the Crime Scene
the Evidence
the Accused
the Story
This morning I jogged 3 miles in the basement. I set the kids up (also in the basement) with the movie Cars which they like to watch while I exercise. Unfortunately, they only like to watch up until the point where Lightening McQueen falls off the trailer on his way to "Californa" (as Lauren calls it.) At this point in the movie they went upstairs to play with their toys.
When I finished I came up to a silent house with no children in sight. I called out once to the kids and got no answer. I then called out again with my "you better answer me" tone and Lauren said they were upstairs (her voice was coming from the guest bathroom.) I asked them what they were doing and, after a pause, in a quiet voice Lauren said they were having a snack. (it was 10:00am) Interested, I started up the stairs and about this point I heard a furious ripping and crinkling of paper. Both kids ran out of the bathroom with their cheeks bulging. I took a quick peak in the bathroom and saw the evidence in the garbage can. 6 Now and Later wrappers.
They had positioned the step ladder in the pantry in order to reach the snack bucket and picked out 6 Now and Laters (l/o from Halloween?) Then they had taken/smuggled their loot upstairs and ate it all.
I was too impressed with their ingenuity/sneaky-ness, the fact they threw the wrappers in the garbage and also with Lauren's honesty so I told them they weren't in trouble this time but from now on they were to ASK ME if they could have a snack. And I reminded them that we only eat in the kitchen...definitely not the bathroom.
Where did my innocent little babies go?


No comments: