Thursday, April 23, 2009

Inside Edition. : What Really Goes on at Playgroup.

Yesterday, Tyler had his weekly playgroup. You may think that we use each playgroup in order to get the children together to interact with each other and in doing so learn valuable life lessons such as sharing, communication, assertive behavior, problem solving, and the like. But I welcome you to the inside: "Playgroup...Behind The Scenes."

First up, we arrive at the house and I down my coffee I brought myself since none of the other Mother's drink coffee (for some CRAZY reason.) As I lick the last drop from my 2 gallon thermos the children are immediately starving and begging for a Snack. (despite the fact that each and every child ate breakfast exactly 30 minutes prior.)

So of course we give them a snack.

Then we settle them in front of a 5 inch DVD player and insert the movie ELF.

and they're stuck
but to hold their attention we make them POPCORN!
Tyler is testing his will-power and chanting in his head
"I won't touch the popcorn, I won't touch the popcorn."
of course he gives in
and us Mom's talk amongst ourselves
eventually they start to get a little crazy
and us Mom's have to end our conversation about where the next Mom's Night Out should be and resume teaching our children the value of playgroups.

Although I jest (or do I??), it was a fun playgroup for Mom's and children alike.
Wednesday night I made Apricot-Glazed Pork Chops with Honey-Mustard Carrots. (only 4 Weight Watchers points per serving!!) I had a picture on my camera but somewhere along the journey from the camera to the computer it completely disappeared. I didn't have apricot preserves so I used the blackberry jam I had in the fridge. Honestly, I'm sure it's better than the apricot. =)
After dinner I went to Impact Group at church. I am really enjoying this Bible Study aka Impact Group. I'm learning a lot but also realizing that the more I learn the more I have yet to learn. Hopefully I have a long, long time to learn all I can.
Today, Thursday, I went to my monthly Mom's Club meeting. This meeting was about eating healthy and how to cook healthy and productively for your family. Right up my alley!! But as fate would have it, this was my turn to stay in the children's area and have fun with them. I got to rock and pat a 6-month-old baby to sleep and play with various other toddlers and "big boys and girls." It was delightful!
Even though the meeting was about healthy eating, we had the usual snacks. Fruit, yay!, cheesy crackers, and powdered sugar donuts. Tyler ate a powdered sugar donut while he was there. When we got into the car after the meeting he thanked me for the donut. He said, "Thanks Mommy for the white bagel." Go son!! Either I'm teaching him right or I'm withholding him from a true childhood experience filled with donuts. (my aversions to the d-nuts probably comes from my 4 years of baking them in Albertson's bakery.)
After the meeting I scooted off to Lauren's school to pick up her and her friend Kylie. We came home and the kids made their own pizzas for lunch. These were made with flat bread, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and olives.
As the kids made up their pizzas they put at least double the amount straight into their mouths.
Kylie made a "smiley face" pizza.
ready for the oven
Hah! I tricked them. I put carrots and celery (& Ranch dip) in front of them while the pizza baked...
And They Ate It!!
fresh out of the oven


they picked and poked at the pizza but I think they were so full of the pepperoni, cheese and carrots (yes, carrots) that they just didn't have the appetite to eat their fresh baked pizzas.


they did have some desire to be silly though





After lunch the kids had a blast running around from room to room, from floor to floor and played together without any fights what-so-ever. Tyler was even willing to forego his nap in order to play with the girls. What a trooper.
After awhile the craziness finally got to Tyler and he tried to escape from it all.


Don't we all need to do that every once in a while?
Dinner tonight was Greek Sandwiches with Feta Vinaigrette (for only 5 Weight Watchers points each!) and a serving of Progresso Chicken Soup, which only added 1 point to the meal. I had forgotten how well (fulfilling) I could eat while eating healthy and losing weight.
And this brings us to tonight, present time. I am parked in front of the computer, in front of the TV showing Grey's Anatomy while Matt is attending the local showing of "Town Hall for Hope with Dave Ramsey." Hopefully Matt will come home with all the right answers to survive this state of the economy.

1 comment:

brian said...

those are some cute looking kids.