Wednesday, November 10, 2010

hate to brag but my kids are AWESOME

If you know me I'm usually pretty humble and soft spoken (yes I am!) but when it involves my children I can't help but brag about their apparent superiority.

In yesterday's post, I went on and on about Tyler's great sense of humor. Remember, he found humor in the song that sounded like "eating pee." (I just love that boy!)

Well today Lauren paid her dues to this very talented family. She came home with 3 quarters in her backpack. (yes, I check her backpack pockets everyday) I asked her where she got the quarters and she said Jaylen gave them to her. I prodded and found out that Jaylen gave her the quarters in exchange for her showing him her school work. As in she lifted up her paper so he, Jaylen, fellow FIRST-GRADER could copy off her paper. She said her teacher wasn't looking. After I told her that she wasn't allowed to let anyone copy off her tests I took a percentage of her earnings and then bought her a big ice-cream cone. She's destined to do some GREAT things!! (I sure love my girl!)

Speaking of GREAT THINGS...tonight's dinner:

Pasta with Sugar Snap Peas, Feta & Basil
(adapted from this recipe)
8oz Rotini pasta
8oz sugar snap peas
1 T. olive oil
1 T. unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 oz. crumbled feta cheese
3 T. chopped fresh basil (or 3 t. dried basil)

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook according to directions. Add the peas 3 minutes before the pasta is ready. Drain.

2. In the same pot, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and lemon zest, and saute 1 minute. Stir in the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Quickly add back the drained pasta and peas, tossing well to combine.

3. Add the feta and basil and stir to combine. Serve immediately.


I was anxious for a light meal and the pasta alone hit the spot but for the kids I added grapes and garlic toast.



They obviously enjoyed their meals.
Miss Lauren ate it all.

Mr. T is still working on it.

We're all waiting on Daddy to make it back home. He's been working out of town for a few days and he flies in tonight. He's in luck because his tasty dinner is waiting for him in the fridge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lauren comes naturally from her ability to make a $. I don't think Matt started in elementary school...the first I remember was in high school when he was selling his artwork to the highest bidder and then he really got into it in his college fraternity where he was referred to as "W..re" (I won't spell that out but he can tell you). I was afraid to ask him what all he was dealing in!!! Jan