Monday, December 19, 2011

Dinner Idea...If You Dare

Tonight I made an interesting looking soup for dinner.  Due to the unappetizing dark greenish brown color I didn't snap a picture.  (you're welcome)  I also didn't have high hopes my family would eat it so I gave Matt left-over Jambalaya and made the kids chicken nuggets.  BUT...the soup tasted great and I can feel the healthy just oozing out of my pores.  I recommend you give it a shot...in fact I Dare You.

Herb, Chard and Feta Soup
(adapted from Bon Appetit magazine January 2012 edition)

Ingredients:
1 T. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 bunches swiss chard (I used 1 bunch red stalk and 1 bunch white stalk), coarsely chopped, about 10 cups
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 T dried parsley
3/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 c. fresh mint leaves, chopped
1 T. dried mint
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 T. fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
5.3 oz. plain Greek yogurt
4 oz. feta, crumbled, divided

Directions:
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until translucent and soft, 8 minutes or so.  Stir in chopped chard, broth, parsley, cilantro, fresh and dried mint, and nutmeg.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chard is tender, about 20 minutes.  Stir in lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.  If you don't have an immersion blender put one on your Christmas list immediately, in batches, puree in a blender until smooth and return to pan.

In a medium bowl add 1/3 of the Greek yogurt.  Add 1/2 c. of warm soup: whisk until smooth.  Repeat process twice more.  Whisk yogurt mixture into soup in saucepan.  Stir in 1/2 of the feta cheese.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Ladle into serving bowls and top with remaining feta.

Serves 4.

Mint, Cilantro, Swiss Chard and Feta....all delicious and even better together when made with this recipe.  I promise it is not overly minty and for you leafy green phobes...you can't taste the swiss chard at all.

I Double Dare You.

No comments: