Thursday, February 25, 2010

let's talk about food.

Rumor has it my blog was mentioned at the February monthly meeting of my local Mom's Club. I had to leave early to attend Tyler's parent/teacher conference so I was not able to bask in the glory. But since it was mentioned I thought I should do two things: #1: Welcome all the new readers! Welcome and please know you are joining about four other people who read this little old thing. #2: I probably should start posting more of my meals and the recipes. I still cook almost every night, I've just become lazy about posting what I make. (Commenting will encourage me. (...just sayin'))

So let's talk about food.

Monday I made a recipe from my latest favorite blog. I made her Spinach Stuffed Shells with Meat Sauce.
Along with the shells I made a Balsamic Roasted Green Bean dish from the latest Kroger coupon mailer.BALSAMIC ROASTED GREEN BEANS
* 2 lbs trimmed green beans
* 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
* 1 red onion
* 2 cloves chopped garlic
* 2 T. balsamic vinegar
*2 t. olive oil
*salt and pepper

400 degree oven. Place beans, bell pepper, onion, and garlic on a sheet pan. Toss to coat with oil, balsamic, salt & pepper. Roast 20 minutes or until veggies are tender. Season veggies with salt and pepper, if needed. Serve immediately. Serves 8.

Both recipes received a "plus" and went into my "to make again" folder.

Tuesday was MOM'S NIGHT OUT (hosted by me, in my basement) so the hubby and kids ate frozen pizza.

Wednesday, I ventured out into the Caribbean and made Cuban Picadillo with Baked Tostones. The picadillo was delish (I ate mine rolled in red leaf lettuce) but for some reason I didn't take a picture of it. The tostones were awesome. I dipped mine in ketchup as did the kids and we all loved them.
pealed plantains
sliced and tossed with oil and salt

baked 10 min. and then smashed in between paper bags

baked another 15 minutes ...YUMM
Thursday, today, it was Roasted Eggplant Pasta from another favorite blog of mine Closet Cooking. I knew we had enough leftover Stuffed Shells with Meat Sauce for Matt so I could make an eggplant dish and not force him to eat it. However, if he would just loosen up and actually try it I think he would have really liked tonight's dinner. I served it with some steamed frozen veggies I bought with a coupon.

Tomorrow night we're having some friends over for a Weight Watcher's dinner. I'm not exactly sure what I'll be making but I have an idea. Stay tuned....

1 comment:

Anne C said...

I just want you to know that I'm a loyal follower of your blog, and I wish I could do what you do. I also have been known to say "my friend in Atlanta" and then will talk about what you have posted on your blog. I think one of the things that impressed me most was your potty training style for Tyler.
Can you send some snow to Oregon?
-Anne Carlisle