Saturday, February 13, 2010

Blizzard 2010

We heard the snow was coming on Friday. The powers that be took it seriously and canceled school almost 24 hours before the first flake fell from the sky. (Why didn't they do that when I was a kid?) This was good and bad. Good because the kids got to start their week long Winter Break one day early but Bad because a lot of kids missed out on their Valentine's Day parties. Lauren was in this unfortunate group but Tyler was not. He goes to school Tuesday and Thursday so his party was on in full force. It was a fun party but since I was coordinating it I was busy the whole time and didn't snap many photos. I could not, however, let the photo op below pass un-photo'd (??)

Tyler, Diane and Gavin on a giant teddy-bear
Finally at 1:30pm on Friday the snow started to fall. And fall it did. It did not stop snowing until around 9pm or so. As soon as the ground was completely covered in snow we were outdoors and taking advantage of our rare Southern Blizzard. (I very generously use the term "Blizzard.")

Tyler on top of the world
Lauren and Lea
(one of these girls is dressed for the weather
the other is very cold in her wet jeans)
before long Mr. Frosty starts to come to life

for about 45 minutes (before he toppled over) he was more than 7 feet tall
neighbor, Mr. Johnny had to help Matt stack the heavy snowballs on top of each other

everyone had fun!
Lauren
Tyler
(eventually I'll buy him his own pair of gloves)

Lea
Jake

I think the snow is so beautiful.
Especially when I'm looking out a window with a nice fire burning in the background.

After the trio had their fill of the white stuff they changed into comfy clothes and warmed their toes by the fire while waiting on plastic mugs of hot chocolate.
(blurry pic but you get the idea)
Long before the Blizzard of 2010 hit metro Atlanta I had bought 4 tickets to the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus at Philips Arena. The blizzard came in strong on Friday and the circus tickets I had were for 10am on Saturday. I bought the more expensive tickets so there was no way we were going to cancel. Matt is a professional snow driver (is that a sport for the Winter Olympics?) so I trusted him when he said we could make it. Since I am prone to STRESS and occasionally FREAK OUT (which can't be good for my heart!) we decided to drive to the nearest MARTA station and take the train downtown instead of drive the whole way. It was a bit icy on the side streets but we made it to MARTA safe and sound. At the station we ran into Dave and Susan who were doing the same thing. This made for an even more exciting train ride for all the kids, Lauren, Tyler, Ian and baby Eric.

Before the show started we were able to go down to the arena floor and walk amongst the performers. We saw the elephants, horses, silly dogs, and plenty of clowns up close. Lauren and Tyler really liked the clown pictured below who just could not find his hat even though it was always right behind him. (They talked about this clown throughout the day.)

Lauren and Tyler watch the clown (aka Mr. Gravity)

an elephant up close
we saw her eat an entire loaf of bread in one bite

Lauren and I in our seats
L and T really enjoyed the show. While enjoying the show they madly scarfed down a bag of cotton candy and a huge box of popcorn. Lauren was quite perplexed when they put the man in the box, turned it around, opened it, and a tiger came out. Now how did they do that?! I was more entertained when it looked like a tiger was getting aggressive with the trainer. How good would the trainer's whip be if the tiger really got irritated?

After the circus we had lunch at Taco Mac in the CNN Center and then it was back to the MARTA and on our way home.

Tyler gets comfy on the MARTA
(in the next seat Ian is in deep conversation with an unsuspecting passenger sitting in the row behind them and I am obviously reacting to something Susan has just said to me)
It was a fun but long day. Our lunch at Taco Mac took over 2 hours to complete and had quite "iffy" service. Plus my "marked healthy" menu item cost me 12 Weight Watchers points (over half of my daily allowance.) Right now I'm ready to go to bed but Matt just told me that Tera and big Tyler are coming over and there is a poker game in the works. I guess I can stay up a couple more hours to be a little social.

I hope y'all enjoy your weekend.

No comments: