Thursday, July 24, 2008

monkey see, monkey do

Tyler has started to talk A LOT more. Most of it is repeating his sister and whatever happens to fly out of her mouth.

Typical Conversations

Lauren: I want to brush my teeth first.
Tyler: No, I want to brush my teeth first.
(said in perfect "parrot" to where he sounds exactly like Lauren.)

Lauren: Where's my lipstick, I need some lipstick? (it's acutally berry flavored lip gloss)
Tyler: No, I need lipstick.
(he proceeds to put some on after Lauren finishes decorating her lips and lower face)

Lauren: I want to wear a dress today.
Tyler: I want to wear a dress today.
Mommy: you can't where a dress Tyler, boys don't [typically] where dresses.
Tyler: (very loud crying and a tantrum tummy flop.)

So this is life as of late...monkey see, monkey do/say/desire/neeeeeeed/etc.

And as for other exciting family adventures...
Wednesday, the kids and I went shopping for ME! I wanted to buy some lightweight dresses for our trip next week to Florida. Something that won't become drenched and cling to me in the 90 degree wet-washcloth-humid-intensely miserable-Orlando heat. I went to Ross, thinking TJ Maxx was located there instead and sorted through the junk to try on about 8 dresses. This was done in a 4 ft. by 4 ft. stall with the 2 kids crammed in there too. I tried on the dresses as fast as I could...in between games of "I'm going to bop your tushy" which are fun if I'm the one bopping the tushy (I wasn't) and if we are alone in the privacy of our own home (we weren't, there were 3 other people trying on clothes at the same time.) Sadly, only 1 dress was acceptable...lots of wasted time. From there we went next door to Kohl's and I decided to just buy workout clothes instead. These were made to absorb sweat right? The one good thing I can say about Kohls is that they have good workout clothes and at great prices. (Plus I don't need to try on workout clothes...I can pretty much eye-ball it.) After that long shopping trip, the kids were finished and we went home for a much needed nap.

That night Matt, again, went out to dinner with co-workers so we, again, had Dana (and the kiddos) over for dinner. I made "Pasta with Olives, Garlic, and Herbs" along with a "Greek Cherry Tomato Salad" both from my Cook's Illustrated Magazine. I love this magazine. The secret ingredient of the pasta was a puree (well actually a finely minced mixture of) garlic, anchovy!!, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, sun-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives. This pasta was so good. I wouldn't let Dana look at the ingredients until she ate it because she ain't no fish girl but she said she did like it...although she declined any leftovers...hmmmm. =) We all ate (even the kids!) at least one serving of it and the tomato salad (definitely worth commenting me for the recipe!!)

Today, Thursday, it was pretty much the usual. Volunteer, grocery store, community group.

Matt was in Valdosta, GA for work today. He told me his office went from 50 employees when he was hired to 10 currently...so he is doing a lot more travelling to pick up the slack. I'm just thankful they realize/(recognize?!) that he is such a valuable employee and well worth hanging on to.

For dinner I made a "Caprese BLT" from Cook's Country Magazine.
Cook's Illustrated sends me countless e-mails and mail offers encouraging me to subscribe to/buy an endless amount of products. Their latest marketing ploy was to send me this Cook's Country Magazine. If you talk to them THANK THEM. It's awesome as was this Caprese BLT. I didn't have any basil, however, so I used some sun-dried tomato pesto that I had in the fridge in it's place. It was good and even the kids ate their sandwiches...well Lauren ate her sandwich and Tyler picked it apart and only ate the bacon.

Instead of our normal community group, we went to check out the progress of the new church. Yes, we are building a new church due to some amazing growth. I was in awe of the new building but also a little disappointed...to be honest. The building is huge, with lots of room for everything we need, very functional and very economical. BUT, when I think of a church I think of steeples, stained glass windows and lots of unnecessary bells and whistles. This has none, but it has everything to encourage the average person to attend and not feel overwhelmed. Which is the driving force behind Crossroads.

And that leads us to tonight. Matt is updating Quicken and I'm trying to FINALLY finish this post while watching Nancy Grace and the sad stories she's reporting/(generating drama) on.

Night Y'All

1 comment:

brian said...

i got my nephew wearing heels wanting to wear dresses.... i thought the south was a lil more conservative than that. give that kid a bat and ball for me please.