Saturday, April 17, 2010

I need some advice

(almost! real life Wii Sword-Fighting)
Lauren (number 2 in the picture above) had her 7th soccer game today. We are seven weeks into the season and every game Lauren pleads with me to let her quit. Today she did this pleading with angry histrionics on the soccer field. She impressed the coach and other parents today with her loud vocals because she is normally very passive and shy on the field. I'm not going to make her play soccer again but I am going to make her finish the season out of respect to her team and as a lesson about Not Quitting.

Every soccer game makes me really miss my Dad. He knew everything about sports (in my mind.) Every waking minute he either thought about, watched, coached or participated in a sport or physical activity of some kind. Heck, a couple of days before his fatal heart attack he did a 14-mile bike ride. He would know exactly what I should do with Lauren. When he died he left a huge void in my life regarding SPORTS. So now, I'm asking all 4 or so of you who read this blog to give me your advice. (j/k! I think it's more like 8 people)

I grew up playing sports: soccer, basketball, volleyball, softball, track, tennis (what else Mom?) This is how I see childhood and I really want to give the same opportunities to my children. Tyler loves soccer but Lauren despises it. More specifically, she despises the competition as she is fine with the drills during practice time.

I think I need to let go of my expectation that Lauren will be a competitive athlete. I just don't know how.

She loves Art Club and she's okay with dance class. I am left handed but surprisingly I'm not very artistic (I do like to write though.) However, her father and her father's mother (hey Grandma Jan!) are very (VERY) artistic so maybe this is the way she naturally needs to go. How do I nurture her artistic side? And should I insist on some sort of physical activity in the hope she will find a sport she enjoys?

here she is displaying her clay creation
(artistically gifted, no?!)
Please give me your advice!




Disclaimer:
Although I publicly voiced my frustrations over soccer today I need to tell y'all that Lauren had a great game (for her.) I've long since given into bribery during the soccer season and today she had three expectations. If met, we would all go bowling as a family tomorrow. (and yes, we are going bowling tomorrow!)

the expectations:
1. Only cry if she is hurt. If she gets hurt then Let It Wail but if she's not hurt than Do Not Cry.
(She didn't exactly meet this expectation but I decided to forgive and forget because she met the other two wonderfully.)
2. Always RUN after the ball. She did this! She waited until everyone else ran after the ball and then she followed the crowd. But she RAN when she did this.
3. Kick the ball at least 2 times (this does not include a "kick-off") I almost cried tears of joy when my baby girl's foot connected with the ball. She connected solidly twice and the 1/2 was an attempt. (which counted, of course)

4 comments:

g.g. said...

Matt & Christine, agree she should finish season, but if her interest/talents are art and dance that is a wonderful!!!, keep her in dance & etc., that gives her exercise and team work. I know your Dad would be so proud of her talent, and she is his Princes sports or not, Well that is my free advice,and about worth that..

Anonymous said...

Matt and Christine-
This is your sister and sister in law in Boise (I don't have an account so I think my comment will come up as anonymous). My advice would be to keep her in to finish out the season. I think this is necessary to help her understand that we don't give up/quit on something we have started, especially when there are other people counting on us. I would also suggest letting her explore her creative side through art and dance classes. As for sports I would do one of two things:
1. Try something that is not competitive or that she can do in a noncompetitve way like swimming, gymnastics, bike riding, skating,or hiking.
or
2. Try something that is still competitive but individualized (not a team sport) like tennis, golf, or Karate.

ellen said...

Hi Christine. I don't have any advice, but just agree that your Dad was special. My boys remember him as the only adult that played in the backyard with them (the "cousins" aren't old enough to be adults I guess). I'm also glad to hear that Matt is doing so much better.

brian said...

No quitting.

If sports are still an option I'd encourage her to stay with a team sport because I think this will help build social skills and help her learn accountability.

I think Dad would say no sports is NOT an option. That worked for us but may not necessarily work for L and T.

Good Luck.

P.S. Lauren would make one helluva volleyball player :)