Friday, May 15, 2009

You Picked a Fine Time to Leave Me...

Man, do I love Kenny Rogers. Can you believe that the best song he ever recorded was back in 1977...the year I was born. He is so RAD. My Dad would let (make) us listen to his cassette tape on every single family vacation drive from Springfield, Oregon to Disneyland, California. (pretty much every year.) Good times!!

But anyway...this past week got me thinking about Kenny's best song. I would, however, change the title a bit to: "You Picked a Fine Time to Leave Me, Mr. Matt."

Not to make Mr. Matt feel bad because honestly I LOVE the fact that he works and that he works hard enough to let me stay home and do what I feel I need to do for my children. But occasionally there comes a week in which I feel a tad bit stressed... as if everything is going on at the same time and I have no time to do anything. Ya know? Well this week was one of those weeks.
It started with a demand from Matt's "wonderful and supportive boss" (wait, does he really read this blog?!!) to immediately make his way to Jesup, GA to finish some projects at the mill. Of course this was A Very Busy Week for the family.

Wednesday was Lauren's End of the School Year Party. It was a party/Art Show and was a lot of fun. The children were so proud of their art work and they took much joy in explaining, describing and bragging about the artwork they've created over the year.




Since this was an "Art Show" us parents brought some sophisticated snacks to enjoy during the party. I brought cheese cubes and crackers.

Tag-a-long Tyler also joined the party. Here he is "smiling" for the camera. Check out Lauren's red sneakers. She wore these everyday for the past 2 months...regardless of what outfit and shade of pink she wore.

Here's a class photo. Lauren is the 2nd blond from the left (in the back row.) You can see just one of her pig tails. Travis is immediately in front of her.


She had such a good day at school that she made a "Happy Plate" for dinner that night. She was so proud she demanded a picture.


Tyler didn't make a "Happy Plate" but he wanted his picture taken anyway. He sure enjoyed his milk though.

And speaking of food...we also had some the next night.

Pinto Bean and PepperJack Burritos (from my new Weight Watchers Cookbook,) Corn on the Cobb and Grapes.




They sure loved the corn on the cobb.


Friday was Lauren's last day of Pre-School. I actually teared up when I dropped her off and also when I picked her up. This was her last day at First Baptist Church. In the Fall (actually Summer...since they start the first of August) she will be in Kindergarten at Cannongate Elementary. At least Tyler will still be at First Baptist...as a 3 yr. old Pre-Schooler for 2 days a week.
Here's Lauren's last day of school outfit...which she chose herself. =)
They can only stand next to each other...and be still...for only so long. Here, we get real.

After school Lauren had her dress rehearsal for her dance class. She is a Shirley Temple Doll. She is just as cute and almost as talented as the original Shirley Temple. (the funkiness of the picture is due to my rotten old camera.)

After her dazzling performance at the rehearsal we hurried home and packed Lauren's overnight bag. She was invited to neighbor Emma's 6th Birthday Sleep-Over Party. She was a bit nervous (totally in tears) at first but Mr. Buddy and Ms. Dana made her feel at home and encouraged her to play with Emma and the other friends at the party. It's after 10pm now and I haven't received a call so I'm assuming that all is going well and she will indeed last the entire sleepover.
With Lauren and Matt out of the house for the night (remember, Matt is still in Jesup doing important pulp and paper shizz,) Tyler and I popped some popcorn, opened some caffeine free sodas and made our way to the basement to watch "The Bee Movie." We've had this movie for awhile but we haven't watched it until tonight. It was pretty funny. My favorite line was when Barry's (Jerry Seinfeld's) mom yelled out, "I hope she's Bee-ish!" (I'm sure all y'all who've seen this movie agree.)While watching the movie Tyler munched on his popcorn, snuggled with his blankie and occasionally took sips of his diet Seven-Up and then my diet Ginger Ale.
After the popcorn and soda were finished Tyler laid down in his sleeping bag to finish the movie. Movie's and Popcorn just don't taste as well if you don't have a sleeping bag to snuggle down in.

Matt called me tonight and told me he is working the graveyard shift at the mill and he will make his way home when he is finished. So he may or may not make it in time for Lauren's dance recital Saturday afternoon. I hope he does because it's awfully cute but I'd rather him drive home safely...especially after working all night long.

No comments: