Saturday, February 26, 2011

I LOVE Savannah!

I can't believe we have lived here for over 5 years and have not taken my Mom to Savannah, GA.
I Love Savannah!

So after our quick trip to San Francisco we loaded up the car for a quick FAMILY vacation to Savannah.
The four hour drive was a piece of (double chocolate gooey butter) cake.
(fyi: Paula Deen lives in Savannah!)

thanks to the iPad
and also the DS.
The weather was beautiful! in Savannah (70s) so we didn't waste any time. We unpacked our bags at the house and set out to enjoy and eat our way through the city.
Many thanks to Matt's co-worker who generously let us stay at his house!
(we need to get one of these 'vacation homes' asap)

one of our favorite Savannah restaurants
touristy and cool at the same time
old buildings
big cargo ships

I mean BIG ships

oyster shell concrete and a cigarette butt
(I'm sure the smoker thought his Mom was going to come pick it up?)

awkward family photo
(not quite awkward enough for this website but close)
Savannah's Waving Girl
that would be Florence Martus

family photos at Forsyth Park

my Mommy and Me

her Mommy and her

While in Forsyth Park we happened upon a tree climbing competition.
If I were a tree climber I would love to climb the awesome live oaks in Savannah.

one of Savannah's big old fancy houses
goofing off at the house
(whoever cries first gets in trouble) Bonaventure Cemetary
beautiful, enormous and awesome
How can I be buried there?

Tybee Island for lunch

and Finally...
the BEACH!

love this!
(while my children in shorts and t-shirts play in the Ocean, check out the time stamp...February y'all!)

Grammy and I enjoy the view from the sandy beach.
...15 minutes after leaving the beach...
(love them!)
The day after we got home from Savannah Grammy had to leave. (tears)
Of course, she flew out "Grammy Style" and gave me a funny? story to share with you all.

To save some money she flew in and out of Birmingham, AL (about 2 1/2 hours away.)
While Matt was at work the kids and I drove her to the Birmingham airport so she could catch her flight home. (Birmingham to Atlanta! to Portland)
After dropping her off the kids and I drove the 2 1/2 hours back to Atlanta (many thanks to the inventors of the Wii and DS.)

A couple hours after getting home I got a call from Grammy saying there were some delays and she was stuck in Atlanta for the night and can I come get her.
Her plane in Birmingham was delayed due to maintenance issues and didn't arrive in Atlanta until after the last plane to Portland had departed. They offered her a hotel room but that would just be silly.

So I hopped in the car and drove 30 minutes to the Atlanta airport and 30 minutes back home.
It was worth it for that extra night with my Mama.
(she says she'll never fly into Birmingham again though)

1 comment:

nicole. said...

aw, I love the sleeping picture.