Friday, January 23, 2015

Quadruple Tooth Extraction

Quadruple Tooth Extraction

For a few years now we've known that Lauren was going to need braces.

Two years ago her Pediatric Dentist referred her to an Orthodontist to keep an eye on her and some issues that could be seen by x-ray.  The Orthodontist saw Lauren every six months FREE OF CHARGE just to monitor her progress. (We have yet to pay him a penny.)
At her last visit the Orthodontist decided it was time to get the ball rolling.  She had lost all but one of her baby teeth and there just wasn't room for all the grown up teeth to come in (neatly.)  He recommended a Quadruple Tooth Extraction and referred her to an Oral Surgeon.

We scheduled the appointment two months ahead of time.  We didn't tell Lauren about the appointment because the girl likes to STRESS and who needs to stress for two months?!

We told her a week before the appointment.  Every night we reassured her of all her worries.
"It'll be fine."  "There's nothing to worry about."  "This is a very common procedure."

Wouldn't you have it, two days prior to the Quadruple Tooth Extraction Matt had to go to China for a last minute work trip...

(I love the "FIND MY iPHONE" app.  He can't just pretend he's going to China anymore. he he he)

...and one day prior (yesterday) a bird pooped on Lauren while she was jumping on the trampling...
(She couldn't even look at it.  Gross.)

...and the forecast for today called for non-stop rain.

Despite all the bad "signs" we celebrated anyway.

Last night we had a final dinner for all of her teeth.
Lauren's favorite:  Campbell's soup and grilled cheese sandwiches to dip.
(a Grammy original according to Lauren) ;)

This morning came all too fast.
We got Tyler on the bus for school and Lauren smiled for her last full toothed smile picture. 

At the Oral Surgeon's office it seemed we were in the waiting room forever.
Lauren played on her iPad to pass the time.
At first she told me she just couldn't smile at all but then I somehow got her to laugh.
Finally they called us back.  I was thrilled that one of my friends was the surgeon's assistant.  She put Lauren at ease.  I was able to be in the room while they started Lauren on the laughing gas.  After she was settled in I made my way back to the waiting room.
(I fainted when I had my own teeth pulled as a sixth grader so I thought it best I didn't watch my daughter get her teeth pulled.) 

I was only in the waiting room for 20 minutes when the Dr. came out to tell me everything went well and she'll be out shortly.  In that time I was able to pay my share of the bill.
I'm thinking about insisting both of my children become Oral Surgeons.  The amount of money this Dr. made in 20 minutes is A-Mazing!!!!  (Thank goodness our insurance paid for most of it despite the Dr being "out-of-network.")

Lauren came into the waiting room telling me all about it.  Her mouth was full of gauze and it was hard to understand her but what I did understand was...1. It hurt "really bad" when they numbed her gums.  She felt every shot.  2. She cried and her legs shook the whole time and she almost tore off the arm rests from gripping them so hard. 3. It didn't hurt at all after the shots.
Poor Girl!!!!
My friend, the surgical nurse, said L did amazing and was braver than most of their adult patients.

Halfway through our 30 minute drive home Lauren told me she was hot.  I turned the heat down but that didn't seem to help.  10 minutes from our house she told me she felt like she was going to throw up.  I rolled her window all the way down even though it was pouring down rain to give her some fresh air.
We barely made it into the house when she went limp in my arms and I guided her to the sink where she got sick.
Blood, Gauze, and Puke
Somehow I just handled it.  I wiped off her mouth, applied clean gauze to stop the now dripping  blood, settled her on the sofa and cleaned the puke out of the sink.  No big deal for this Momma.

I put a cold wash cloth on her forehead.
Despite how miserable she looks in the photo she told me she felt so much better after throwing up.
(The boogie board is there because I told her not to talk.  If she wanted to say something she needed to write it down for me.)

One hour and a half later she was up and at 'em.

...checking her new NUMB look out in the mirror...
(She couldn't stop talking about how weird her numb mouth felt.)

...trying to eat Chicken Noodle Soup and Applesauce with a completely numb mouth...  
She dribbled all down her chin.  I have a pretty funny video but she wouldn't let me put it on the blog.

Look at these suckers.
(Lauren couldn't/wouldn't look at them.)

Despite having a Quadruple Tooth Extraction Lauren still made dinner for the three of us.
Her specialty: Pizza Cups.
They were delicious.

She also was able to do her evening chores.
(She's pointing at her duct tape design to keep the top of the broom handle from popping off.)

It wasn't until after a bowl of ice cream that her mouth started to bother her.

I gave her some Children's "Tylenol" and have some "Advil" ready to go if she needs it.

I also had her start icing her cheeks.
(There's a frozen pack of corn under her head.)

And then there's Tyler.
He's a great kid.  He was concerned about his sister when he came home from school.  He immediately sought her out and asked her how it was.  That didn't surprise me one bit.  That's who he is and he does what he does.
Right now he's into playing World of Tanks.

Lauren's next appointment is a follow up with the Oral Surgeon in two weeks and then she'll see the Orthodontist in 6 months after some of these grown-up teeth have settled into place. 


Gloria said...

Amazing girl and caring brother. Best grandkids ever.

Grandma Jan said...

Loved your post! Lauren did so good & Tyler too. You handled it so well with Matt gone! Didn't realize you don't like bodily fluids either, same as Matt! BTW, I'm sorry I didn't respond to your Christmas post! It was awesome as usual! I'm a bad grandma!

brian said...

Tough girl.

Alessandra Landers said...

That's intense. She went through all that? Lauren is a strong person. She put up with all that, just so her dental condition would be righted. That is a simple yet impressive act of courage. Cheers!

Alessandra Landers @ My Maryville Dentist

Karen Perry said...

Good job mom and good job Lauren! It can be so tough to see your child go through something like this and it is even harder in the days leading up to it. Looks like you were pretty stressed the days before but I am glad everything went well and despite a few hiccups it seems recovery went quite well!

Karen Perry @ Brookside Dental Care

Tyler Williford said...

"Wow, what a road trip!

There's nothing quite like time with your family on the open road to reconnect and refresh. I used to go to summer camp in Wisconsin, and the road trip from Texas all the way up to Wisconsin was always great bonding for our family.

How nice of your mom to drive the whole way! I'm no stranger to hours on the road, and it can be rough, but having great company, music, and scenery always helps!"

Tyler Williford @ Marzo Smile